help with getting a iphone 4 off craigslist..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maluskeeter, Dec 18, 2010.

1. maluskeeter macrumors newbie

first off, nice community here...

im looking to get a iphone 4 from craigslist and i need some help from you guys. first - how can i tell when looking at the iphone 4 (in person) if its legit vs a knockoff copy?

also is it a fair price range for a 16gb, iphone 4 (1 month used with a case) with no damage to be around $500-550?

plannin to unlock it and use it for t-mobile, anything i should be concerned about when doing this as well?

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Depends. I have seen iPhone 4 16gb go as low as $400. Depends on how fast people want to dump their phone.

But the majority go for around $500. My friend actually picked a 32GB iPhone 4 last week for $500 mint no scratches.

Gotta love the free capital market on craigslist.

Look for serial number on iPhone. U need to turn it on and go under settings for iPhone. Go to apple warranty checker on apple site and verify which date the phone was under warranty. Obviously all iPhone 4 are still under warranty so that won't be an issue.

But for those looking for 3GS. I despise people who try to say they have brand new 16GB 3GS. Cause apple stopped selling 16gb 3GS in June so there's no way it's one month old. They probably got it exchanged. That's why it's so important to look for serial number on 3gS.

Also check water damage sensors. Bring small flashlight.

Good luck. Also important to look for baseband ok iPhone 4 cause only certain baseband can be unlocked at this time.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Check the iOS version. I don't think you can unlock 4.2.1 yet.

4. maluskeeter thread starter macrumors newbie

great words. how do i check for baseband?

any other advice would be appreciated!

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Settings > General Settings > About > Modem Firmware (baseband).

If it's higher than 1.59.00 then it can't be unlocked (yet).

6. maluskeeter thread starter macrumors newbie

is this true or is it according to baseband?

7. maluskeeter thread starter macrumors newbie

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're on a 3G or 3GS on 4.2.1 and need to unlock you have to upgrade your baseband to 6.15.00.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You could go into an Apple Store if you have one nearby just to check out how the phone is in person. A good 15 minutes with one and you can tell a fake one just by looking at it.

10. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

after reading the title i thought u meant u had one for sale on craigslist and needed help taking the listing down.

11. maluskeeter thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone know what firmware OR if the iphone 4 brand new in box is unlockable?

also, up to what firmware is the 4 currently unlockable?

12. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Honestly, if youre planning on buying this to unlock it for use with t-mobile, I wouldnt. As most T-mo users on here will tell you, a lot of times things can go wrong in the unlock process, accidentally updating the baseband, etc. One little mess up and you're pretty much out of a phone until Dev team catches up...

Since youre going to be spending that much ANYWAYS. If you're willing to, or if you have friends up North, I'd recommend making the trip up to Canada and buying an unlocked phone there. It will cost around the same and it will be definitely unlocked.

If you're going to be unlocking anyways, a 3GS is more reliable in terms of unlocks.

and for ****'s sake MEET in a POLICE station. A few stories floating around here of people that have been robbed at gunpoint for an iphone.