Help with getting an External Hard Drive Wireless!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Googon, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Googon macrumors member

Okay, so I bought a MacBook a few weeks back, and I would really like to be able to use my External Hard drive with it, but still have the freedom to move my laptop around the house. I already have a huge external hard drive, that I don't want to go to waste because it stores 320GB which is farm more than I would ever use with music and movies :p. It'll last me ten years.

I know these exist, I just don't know what they are called, it is a two part device that I can plug a small wireless receiver into my USB port, and the other part you plug all your USB storage devices in to and it links it to whatever computer you have your wireless receiver in. (I hope that made sense)

Can someone tell me what they are called?

2. kalex macrumors 65816

I think you are looking for NAS enclosure. U put your drive inside it, connect it to your network and your macbook will see it as network attached storage and you can mount it on your macbook.

check newegg.com for prices.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You could get a NAS Enclosure, or simply get an AirPort Extreme (n) which will turn any USB hard drive into a NAS so you can access your hard drive over your wireless network.

TEG

4. thomanjones macrumors regular

Either a Airport Extreme, as mentioned above, a NAS device, or a Drobo+droboshare (or Drobo+AP Extreme).

Since you are looking for a solution for your existing HD, a NAS or Drobo is way overkill, but something to keep in mind for redundant, network accessible/expandable storage.