Help with getting mac hard drive with just folders to read on windows PC!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeremy336, Jul 17, 2009.

1. jeremy336 macrumors newbie

ok heres my problem.. i have a hard drive thats in an enclosure...its a 250gb hard drive that came out of an macbook pro (unibody)... anyway i've been using that hard drive to store extra stuff on using my iMac...i just recently sold my iMac.. but before i did i formatted my drive and saved a bunch of stuff from my imac such as folders with pictures music and personal info(documents) on that hard drive....but for some reason when i plugged that hard drive into my windows vista computer.. i hear that noise a USB item has been plugged up but nothing shows up on the "my computer screen" i have another macbook pro drive which i also used for the same purpose but it works ok...but for some reason the 250gb hard drive isnt showing up on my windows vista computer... i dont have another apple computer and wont til december. is there a program or something that i can use to access those folders from that hard drive? please help soon! any and every help is appreciated! i had to create another account on macrumors.com/fourms because my login info is on one of my folders thats on the 250gb hard drive that wont show up on my vista computer.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Is the external formatted as Mac OS Extended? Not sure what on Windows will read that.

3. jeremy336 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes its formatted with Journaled something... cant remember exactly. i had windows xp on the computer before and i upgraded to vista thinking that was the problem..and it still didnt pick it up. i have a dell dimension 8300 pentium 4 3.0ghz. its not reading the drive at all like i said :( i dunno what to do i need that info on the hard drive

4. jeremy336 thread starter macrumors newbie

Woooohoooooo!!!!!!!!

thanks Sky Blue!!!
    i followed your link and used MacDrive 8 for windows and i downloaded the trial and i was able to get it to read my 250gb hard drive on my vista computer!.. man if you were here right now i'd kiss ya on the forehead im so happy! wish i could zip you 10 dollars right now..wow! thank ya thank ya thank ya thank ya thank ya!....man see what happens when you use a PC (joking) PCs are ok... im still gonna get a mac again later. man man man.... ok now i'll start copying some files to my other hard drive and the rest on this computer.both together should get about 200gb of my files .......and format the 250gb hard drive with windows and put them back on there. thanks again man!!