Help with gif?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by failsafe1, Apr 10, 2007.

1. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Hope I can get some help. I am putting up a small web site and want to use a specific font in some small tables. The usual stuff. Is a transparent gif the best way to go? I am using CSS for most everything else but this is a non standard font. The question is this, in Photoshop the gif looks good, on the page it looks aliased. I have tried crisp, smooth, etc in Photoshop. Is there a better way to make the gif look good? Or is there another way to make transparent type that is nice to look at? I am making a small image about 105x13 pixels.

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

What colour background is the gif going on?

You may need to change the matte.

Also, it may help to show us the page you are talking about (if possible)?

3. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Thanks I am using a standard template for the moment to get a site up while I try stuff. When you say change the matte is this done when saving in Photoshop? I see a matte check box and was not sure what this meant.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

transparent gifs, suck. and the reason being, they dont truly have transparency.

they have single color transparency. you tell it a color to make transparent, in this case the matte.

back in the day of web design, this was ok, as background were usually a single color.

though, the matte really isnt like saying I want all pixels of this one shade transparent, but you tell it what color the background the gif will be placed on, and it will "anti-alias" that color to the edges of the transparency.

which, if you place the gif onto another color background, looks like crap, with this color halo around it.

.png is MUCH better, but alas, you need some workaround/hacks for IE6 support.