Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvwinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone, I apologize if this question has been asked before in the forum but I couldn't find anything specific to my situation by searching. I have a 2013 iMac running Maverics, a Brother ds-620 scanner (linked below) and Mariner Software's Paperless which apparently does not work with the scanner because it's not TWAIN compliant. Does anyone have suggestions for any software that would make going paperless less of a hassle than having to scan and import? Ideally, I'd just scan the document, tag it, and sort it all within 1 program. Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-DS-620-Mobile-Color-Scanner/dp/B00EKWE55K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Does the Brother software have any "scan to xxx" profile options? The reason I ask is that if so you may be able to do as I do with my set-up:

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap i500X scanner and use DEVONthink Personal software.

The ScanSnap Manager software let me create a "Scan to DEVONthink" profile. Now all I need to do is press the scanner's start button. The ScanSnap Manager software receives the scan, automatically does OCR on the contents, and forwards the finished document in .pdf form to the DEVONthink Inbox.

The only manual thing I need to do (other than pressing the scanner's start button) is re-name the file in DEVONthink and move it from the Inbox to the appropriate sub-folder in my storage hierarchy (e.g., Utilities, Gas Bills sub-folder).

jvwinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
I knew I should've bought a scansnap. This one was so much cheaper so I couldn't pass it up. It does come with software but the documentation for mac set up is horrble. Thanks for your response, maybe I should look into Devonthink.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I also started with a smaller scanner -- a Canon P-215. Great little unit, but too many failures to start feeding. Returned and spent the extra money for the Fujitsu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.