Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slightly Hyphy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hello,

I am a newbie when it comes to Google chat, and I had a question. I recently added a contact to my Google email contact list. This person was also added to my Google Chat friends list, but there is no icon/symbol to the left of their name. My other Google Chat contacts all have some type of icon/symbol next to their name (green dot, yellow dot, orange dot, gray circle with an X in the middle, etc.).

What does it mean when one contact does not have any icon/symbol to the left of their name in my Google Chat friends list?

Thanks!

Slightly Hyphy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Sorry to bump this unnecessarily...but I really would like to know the answer to this. I have searched online extensively but have found no answer.

What does it mean when a Google Chat contact does not have an icon next to their name?

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
It means you can't chat with them. In other words, they're not on gmail or haven't accepted a chat invitation. Having someone in your contact list doesn't mean you can chat with them. Go over their name and there should be an "invite to chat" button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.