Help with Google Maps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bulldog VII, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

This has nothing to do with macs but I am hoping someone may know the answer.

I am planning to cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats next year. For the people in America that is 974 miles from the bottom to the top of the UK.

My question is does anyone know how far apart the contour lines are on the maps. There is a scale in the bottom left hand side but this shows metric & imperial measurements

Thanks

2. bridgesmj macrumors newbie

This is a very ambiguous question... and sorry to say you won't get an accurate answer unless you tell us what map you're using!

Firstly, the whole point of contour lines is that they are different distances apart so that you can evaluate the gradient (the closer together the are, the steeper the gradient is & vice-versa etc.) I'm sure you know this - sorry for taking you back to first principles :)

If you mean the contour interval, for the OS LandRanger Series of maps (the orange ones), the contour interval is 5m.

You'd be better off looking on the Ordnance Survey website however.

Hope this helps...

3. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Sorry, it was on google maps & I have I think found the answer it's 20 meters

Still makes the hills look too step, only 9 months to go!!

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

They're not 20 metres apart but that difference in height. I think maybe it is your phraseology that is misleading.

5. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Yes you are right, doing shift work is fuzzing my brain!