Help with gzip

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by gescom, Jul 24, 2012.

1. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

I recently made website for a friend via iWeb and stored onto dropbox under the public folder. He purchased the site name and we setup a url redirect with success. :)

Since then I am looking to optimize the site for speed and I read about gzip compression.

The question is how can I enable this? :eek: All my research is suggesting I cannot with the current setup or maybe I am just way off.

The website is www.turningleafcabins.com

I have checked it with Google Developer site and it comes back as not being gzipped. :confused: Any help is much appreciated.

2. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure about how to enable it on the backend, but I do know that the browser has to advertise Gzip support / request gzipped resources.

Protip, have all of your static files, already gzipped, it makes serving them quicker.

3. Dunmail macrumors regular

Gzipping resources is just one aspect of site performance and not every resource needs gzipping - jpeg images are already compressed for example. I'd run YSlow over the site to see what other recommendations it has - you can get it as an add-on for both Chrome and Firefox.

Also check out the book "High Performance Web Sites" by Steve Souders.