Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

historyteacher

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Hey all,

I have been working on moving my dvd/blu ray collection to digital storage for a while now for both backup purposes and for using on my iDevices. About a year ago I had started this process and all went well on quite a few titles. Since then I ran out of room on the old white macbook and put the project on hold. This summer I was able to get a nice shiny new iMac (yeah!).

I returned to doing my ripping and storing of my media, but it looks like I am having some kind of issue with DRM (maybe...sorry if I am misspeaking here). When I rip a title to my iMac it is all scrambled.

I am using Handbrake and VLC just as I had before and everything is up to date.

Is there some new step I am missing since being out of loop for a while, or did I just do something wrong.

Thank you for your help!

Mike

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hey all,

I have been working on moving my dvd/blu ray collection to digital storage for a while now for both backup purposes and for using on my iDevices. About a year ago I had started this process and all went well on quite a few titles. Since then I ran out of room on the old white macbook and put the project on hold. This summer I was able to get a nice shiny new iMac (yeah!).

I returned to doing my ripping and storing of my media, but it looks like I am having some kind of issue with DRM (maybe...sorry if I am misspeaking here). When I rip a title to my iMac it is all scrambled.

I am using Handbrake and VLC just as I had before and everything is up to date.

Is there some new step I am missing since being out of loop for a while, or did I just do something wrong.

Thank you for your help!

Mike
VLC no longer supplies the decryption libraries for HB. You can go to the HB forum for links for a downloadable library. However, I would recommend using MakeMKV (free) as it is better at decryption (does both dvd and BR while HB only does dvd). I know it's an extra step, but it is fairly quick and does a good job.

I would also suggesting using an external HDD for storage as you will quickly eat up any space your iMac HD has storing movies on it. Also, 2TB externals can be had pretty inexpensively now.

historyteacher

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2010
VLC no longer supplies the decryption libraries for HB. You can go to the HB forum for links for a downloadable library. However, I would recommend using MakeMKV (free) as it is better at decryption (does both dvd and BR while HB only does dvd). I know it's an extra step, but it is fairly quick and does a good job.

I would also suggesting using an external HDD for storage as you will quickly eat up any space your iMac HD has storing movies on it. Also, 2TB externals can be had pretty inexpensively now.

Thanks so much for the good advice! A couple of quick things:

If I am understanding, would I use makeMKV to do the ripping and then handbrake to make it a file type that iTunes can handle?

I was thinking the same thing on the HD too. I have a 2 TB external ready to go!

Thanks again!

Mike

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks so much for the good advice! A couple of quick things:

If I am understanding, would I use makeMKV to do the ripping and then handbrake to make it a file type that iTunes can handle?

I was thinking the same thing on the HD too. I have a 2 TB external ready to go!

Thanks again!

Mike
Yes, MakeMKV will generate a DRM free mkv file that is full video/audio/subtitles quality. I keep those files as archive so I don't have to go back to the disc. NOTE: You lose menus and extras. HB is then used to transcode the mkv into the mp4 format which iTunes/aTV is happy with.

MakeMKV is free for dvd ripping and free "while in beta" for BR ripping. But it's been in "beta" for a long time and who knows when it will ever leave the beta phase. Even if it did, it would be worth the price and I would suggest purchasing it anyway to support the developer.

historyteacher

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Yes, MakeMKV will generate a DRM free mkv file that is full video/audio/subtitles quality. I keep those files as archive so I don't have to go back to the disc. NOTE: You lose menus and extras. HB is then used to transcode the mkv into the mp4 format which iTunes/aTV is happy with.

MakeMKV is free for dvd ripping and free "while in beta" for BR ripping. But it's been in "beta" for a long time and who knows when it will ever leave the beta phase. Even if it did, it would be worth the price and I would suggest purchasing it anyway to support the developer.

Thank you for all the help! Greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.