Help with Handoff on cMP 5,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Turbo Tony, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Turbo Tony macrumors newbie

Turbo Tony

OK, so I got the upgrade bug as soon as I bought my cMP 5,1 8 core. I bought the upgraded Wifi/Bluetooth card recommended on here and my system sees it. Both the Wifi and Bluetooth work fine but I can't seem to get Handoff/Continuity to work.

The System Profiler shows the new card as being Handoff compatible.
    Handoff is turned on on both my Mac and my iPhone X.
    Both devices have Bluetooth turned on.
    Both devices have Wifi turned on and connected to the same network.
    I tried signing out of iCloud on both devices and back in (boy, that was a horrible experience on the phone - I had to add all the card in my wallet back).​

I can't think of anything else to try. The Bluetooth menu on the Mac shows the iPhone isn't connected to the Mac, but I can connect it by selecting it. Strangely, it doesn't say 'Connect' like all my other devices do. Instead, it says 'Connect to Network'. I'm assuming that's so it can be used as a hotspot?

Does anyone have any ideas so I can move on to my next upgrade?

2. bookemdano macrumors 65816

3. Turbo Tony thread starter macrumors newbie

Turbo Tony

Oops Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Yes, I'm using High Sierra.

I tried the Continuity Activation Tool and it didn't run because it said it was already running. I can see the option in my System Preferences.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2018 ---
    I just re-read the instruction on the other thread and I disabled SIP to rerun the CAT. I got the same message saying that Continuity was already active. I ran the diagnostics and got this:

--- OS X Continuity Activation Tool 2.3 ---

by sysfloat

original by dokterdok

--- Initiating system compatiblity check ---

--- Hardware/OS checks ---

Verifying Continuity status... OK. OS X reports Continuity as active

Verifying Mac model reference... OK. Known compatible Mac Model detected: MacPro5,1

Verifying Mac board-id... OK. Short board id detected: Mac-F221BEC8

Verifying OS X version... Warning: This tool wasn't tested with OS X versions higher than 10.10. Detected OS version: 10.13.5

Verifying Wi-Fi hardware... WARNING. An unknown/untested AirPort card using the 'BrcmNIC' kext is active. This tool can't fix this.

Verifying AWDL status... OK. An AWDL interface is up, Wi-Fi is ready for Continuity

Verifying Bluetooth hardware... OK. The internal Bluetooth card is active

Verifying Bluetooth version... WARNING. New Bluetooth version detected (LMP Version 8), compatibility with this tool is unconfirmed

Verifying Bluetooth features... OK. Bluetooth features are Continuity compliant

Verifying Bluetooth firmware... OK. Bluetooth firmware version: v158 c4806

Verifying Login Item... OK. Login item for Auto Continuity Check is not set.

--- Modifications check ---

Verifying OS kext protection... OK. Kext developer mode is not active. This tool can fix this.

Verifying kexts readability... OK. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth kexts were found and could be read

Verifying Wi-Fi whitelist status... OK. Your board-id is not yet whitelisted. This tool can fix this.

Verifying BT4 dongles compatibility... OK. Compatibility with BT4 USB dongles is not enabled, this tool can fix this if a dongle is plugged in

Verifying old Wi-Fi kext presence... OK. Legacy Brcm4331 Wi-Fi driver is present. This tool can fix this.

Verifying legacy Wi-Fi card patch... OK. The legacy Wi-Fi patch is not present. This tool can fix this.

--- Modifications check ---

Press any key to go back to the main menu...
    Does anyone have any idea what to do next?

4. bookemdano macrumors 65816

I haven't kept up with CAT. I seem to remember for Sierra there being a beta version you had to download that wasn't the main one linked on the site. That could have changed in the interim, however.

Anyway, if you take a look in the thread I linked there is a post on the last page where one of the users here provided a terminal command to run that apparently accomplishes the same thing. I haven't tested it myself but might be worth a try. SIP needs to be disabled (just as with CAT). Give that a try and see if it works after a reboot.

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

In a Terminal window, past the following command:

Code:
    sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set:Mac-F221BEC8:ContinuitySupport true" "/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist"

6. Turbo Tony thread starter macrumors newbie

Turbo Tony

It worked! Thanks so much!

It took two restarts of the Mac and iPhone until it eventually got the picture, but it's working!

Thank you! :)

7. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

This is the quickest way.
    With CAT you do have to turn of SIP and run it despite its assurances it is not needed.

Continuity generally works, but the BLE range with the case is pretty poor. So it is spotty.

8. RetroDan macrumors member

RetroDan

THIS. This fixed months of issues and Time Machining due to lost Bluetooth functionality. Do this, reboot, and rejoice if you are on a 2009->2010 Mac Pro.

9. lingwow macrumors newbie

lingwow

This doesn't seem to be working for me.. I first used the CAT tool, the official release and that put me into a boot loop. Then I tried the BETA release, avoided boot loop but still no handoff or continuity. Then I used the CAT to delete whatever changes it made, at least I think I did that right. Then I tried the code you pasted above in terminal, and still no luck. I am just using a cheap dongle I got on Amazon. I don't even have the option to enable handoff in preferences, but it's odd because some of the features are working. I get calls on the mac, sms messages.. But the enable handoff option isn't visible, and I have no air drop or continuity. Any ideas? Could I have messed up the repositories with trying CAT 2 different times?

10. RetroDan macrumors member

RetroDan

So...you're saying that you uninstalled the CAT mod, and you're having problems getting the mod you uninstalled to work? I think I know what your problem is...

You need to use the terminal code with the mod installed, mate...

11. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Yeah I think the terminal command alone only works if you put in the OEM Airport/BT4 cards. Third-party stuff still needs extra sauce that CAT does, AFAIK.

12. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

I found I had to disable Sip, apply it, then reenable it.

13. JeDiGM macrumors member

Anyone try this with Mojave yet? Still working?

14. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Worked fine for me on Mojave just disabling SIP and then using the terminal command in post #5. No need for the CAT tool.

15. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

It's working.
    Handoff.jpg

16. PianoPro macrumors regular

With a BT dongle you must still use CAT? Is that correct? I tried just the terminal command and it doesn't produce the handoff option in the System Preferences General pane.

17. h9826790, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018

h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Depends on the dongle, but AFAIK, almost any BT dongle that made from factory need CAT. Only those “man made for Mac” dongle may has the correct broadcom chip inside and only need the terminal command to activate Handoff on cMP.

18. PianoPro macrumors regular

I use the Asus BT-400 which is a Broadcom chip. Chipset: 20702A3 Firmware Version: v14 c4096
    As I said I tried the terminal command and read back the Plist and the motherboard compatibility did get set to true - as desired. But there's no option to enable handoff in the General Preference Pane. So I'm guessing something else needs to be done - and that's probably what CAT does.

19. nickbatz, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018

nickbatz macrumors newbie

Mac Pro 5,1 12 x 3.46GHz, Mojave 10.14.1

Will this card work for Continuity, Handoff, Airdrop? The seller says yes, but I don't want to have to return it to China if it doesn't work.

(It has the BCM94360 chipset.)

TIA

20. macnu macrumors newbie

macnu

Thanks !! It worked perfectly for me, now besides airdrop I have continuity camera and unlock with apple watch

21. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

It will only work if you know how to connect the USB connector. It looks like that's the standard connector, and only good for Hackintosh.