Help With Hard Drive Camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Muzzway, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Muzzway macrumors regular

I've been looking at standard-definition HDD camcorders, and so far I've narrowed down the choice to these two: the Everio GZ-MG555 and the Panasonic SDR-H18.

Has anyone had anyone experiences with either, or do you otherwise recommend one over the other? For usage, we're just talking average home use, taking on vacations and day trips, etc, and perhaps taking some stills. I'm also open to other camcorder suggestions.

Note: I really don't care about the software that comes along with them, just as long as the camera itself is Mac compatible.

Edit: It now seems to me that the Panasonic is a better choice, although I'm still open to opinion/advice, especially whether the SDR-H18 is Mac-friendly or not.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Neither of them will be exactly "Mac-compatible". You'll need to transfer the video to your Mac, convert them to DV using MPEGstreamclip and then you can bring it into iMovie for editing.

It's an extra step, but you won't be able to do anything with the video (besides watch it) without it. This is the downside of HDD camcorders.

3. Muzzway thread starter macrumors regular