Help with Hard drive install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sillyuser, Aug 1, 2011.

1. sillyuser macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Can you please help me as I am having and have had so many problems its easier just to get to the point and tell you the mess I am in now.
    Have Macbook pro, bought second hand.
    Put "new" hard drive in that had been formatted on a windows machine with macdrive 8 in the MAC OS EXTENDED (hsf+) format.
    Old hard drive is not accessible at all.
    Do I need to do anything else to the hard disk to enable the system to "see it" or does this happen when I boot from my OS DVD/CD which will be Snow Leopard, (I am yet to buy it)
    Please help me if you can because I am not ashamed to say that I have no idea, even after reading through forums and googling for two days.
    :confused::eek:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If there were any problems with the Macdrive formatting you'll have a chance to re-do it when you prepare to install from the disc.

3. sillyuser thread starter macrumors newbie

So what you are saying is that, I dont need to do anything else to the hard drive and that when I get my snow leopard and boot holding down the option key, that the disk utility and everything will run off the DVD?
    I am sorry, but you can probably work out here I am pretty clueless
    :(

4. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can run disk utility direct from the snow leopard DVD. From there you can format the new HDD however you like.

5. sillyuser thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG
    Thank you so much, I am very much relieved.
    Now to give it a go tomorrow when I go buy the OS.
    I will repost if I have any more problems.
    Thank you
    :eek: