Help with hard drives - fixing a drive and cloning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaniel, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

So my seagate hybrid 1tb failed I don't know yet if it's a software issue that caused it or if it is a hardware.

I bought a replacement WD Black 750GB but it is vibrating or it spins too much I can feel it I dont quite know if it's a bad drive or something so I don't think I wanna leave it in there.

This is what I am gonna do:

I am gonna get an enclosure and test the Seagate, if it failed because of software issues then I won't have to send it back if it is truly broken then I'll wait for a replacement either way I want it back into my mac and remove the WD.

So are there any specific programs I can use to diagnose the seagate or should I just use disk utility?

Also with all the talk of cloning etc what can I get that will work with cloning my WD back to my seagate? Does it matter that both drives are different sizes and can it be done all in one partition?

Recommendations appreciated. Thanks

2. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

so I bought an enclosure today and when connected to the mac it doesnt see it AT ALL.. so nothing showing up on my desktop and diskutlity no dice either.

Does this mean that its dead? I can feel it spooling or whatever you call it the enclosure seems to be doing its job but the mac doesnt recognize it at all so what can I download for my mac to try and fix this