Help with Harddrive upgrade.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSaga, Feb 3, 2010.

1. iSaga macrumors regular

May 25, 2008
    I have the early 15 inch macbook pro, 2 GHz Intel core Duo. Looking to upgrade my hard drive but have no idea what to get. I thought I would get the biggest fastest but have heard that the fastest isn't best for battery and heating issues.

My main requirements is size and performance? Looking for at least 350 GB that won't affect the performance.
  2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I personally love Western Digital.

I believe they do a 640GB Caviar Blue now, which are fantastic drives which don't draw too much power. Not even that expensive, I think I've seen it for $100?
  3. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I would rather buy a MacBook for that money :D

It's 135$ from OWC and while it's 5400rpm drive, it's as fast as 7200rpm drive in many benchmarks but no heat or battery issues. I also recommend WD
  4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Hah, shush you. I typo'd ;)

It really does look like a great drive.
  5. karlosdaze macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2010
    Just got off the phone with Western Digital. This "my book studio 1 tb for mac" is 6 days old & has given me more trouble than any other hardware I've had. In fact I'd rather go back to windows than buy another hard drive off WD!

Very rarely does my imac recognize it due to the software it has with it. I've repeatedly had to restart the computer just to see if the computer would finally connect with it. So I changed the settings to keep hard drives on all the time: When it does decide to play ball it starts to give overheat warnings - in the middle of winter here in Spain, God knows how it would cope on a semi-warm day.

The help-desk says it sounds like a faulty drive as the light doesn't show at all now but the motor is running. I still want to knock it out it's sleep just to get my itunes purchased & un-purchased before I send it back. Anyone know of a way before I loose all my data? I don't want to spend the same amount on it on recovery software if I'm only going to be using it this one time. 4 days wasted on saving music, recommend this product, not in a million years.

Any advise would be great.
  6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    I'm with Hellhammer and JoelKelly here.

I've had great luck with WD, Hitachi, Toshiba, and Maxtor. Seagate has been hit-and-miss with me, others will likely have different stories to report.

I put a 500 Gb Hitachi in my MB, 5400 RPM, and I haven't noticed any issues with heat or battery life. I think I paid around $79 for it at Fry's.
  7. kellen macrumors 68020

Aug 11, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I have used WD and Seagate and had no problems.
  8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2009