Help with harddrve issues!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samrulestothema, Aug 16, 2008.

1. samrulestothema macrumors regular

hello everyone, i have a mac formatted harddrive with a whole lot of music and movies on it, but my mac is away from me and i only have access to a windows xp laptop.

Surely there is a way i can get the mac harddrive to show up on windows?

Thanks!

Sam

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Nope, windows is lame like that. Macs can read windows formatted drives but windows has to be different and not be able to read the other way around. :( At least that I know of.

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

Well I believe if you search Google you can find drivers for Windows that will allow it to read Mac drives.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. jsgrabo macrumors regular

and if you ever get a chance to reformat the drive or if you get another drive, format it in FAT32. Then both and read and write without and drivers or programs.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

no, you cannot, only a mac can read both windows/mac drives on the network. download macdrive and give it a shot.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Check this,
    http://guides.macrumors.com/networking_mac_and_pc

I have a P4 sharing an ethernet switch with a Mac right now, and my entire iTunes library is showing up in a window on the PC. It's XP sp2, I think.

Now I'm playing a Beatles tune from the Mac library on iTunes on the the P4. It's converted from an AIFF file so authorization isn't an issue.

It sounds like you're attempting a remote hookup though, and that's a little more involved.

edit: wrong problem, sorry

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not a good idea if you want to store movies & music as FAT32 has a 4GB file transfer limit