Help with hardware

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Ok I didn't know what I should name this thread but I have an issue.

Long story short I have a bolt that I need to undo on my car. It has no nut but the sheet metal has a punch or w/e in it to make the bolt interlock with it. No matter how much I wrench it won't turn, probably because the threads are stripped because the stupid dealer over tightened the bolts. I should also mention the other side of the bolt isn't really accessible.

Other than a saw, which will be somewhat hard to use because of lack of space, does anyone know how I can get this damn thing off.

Thanks

2. Turkish macrumors 6502

Hit the head with a hammer and heat it up with a torch if you can.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Does it not turn at all...or is it that it turns but you don't make any progress on it?

If it turns, you need to try to wrench it in combination with some leverage (some sort of prying action) to reengage the threads (or effectively rethread it). In an optimal situation, this is one person on the wrench and another on the prying tool, but I'm not sure if you have space enough for two arms in this situation.

4. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok I though this picture might help describe my situation.

The bolts (its actually 2) does turn, it just makes no progress. They are 13mm BTW.

Basically i am taking of these stupid running boards on my car. I wish this was like the other side of the car where they just easily came off. On the front end of the car it has the same setup as the picture for the most part. The bolts on the front were on so tight that I broke them off trying to remove them. Whatever works though :cool:

(Click to enlarge)

Attached Files:

5. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

What sort of prying tool do you suggest?
    There might be room for two people. Unfortunately there is a tire that takes up a lot of space and this would have been so much easier if the bolts attached on the opposite side.

I had a friend try to push the running board while I was wrenching, but it didn't work.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The piece on the inside is slipping as you wrench, right? Or does it stay in place?

I'd try using a crowbar between the running board and the tubing, as close to the bolt as possible without getting in the way and then wrench it as best you can. The pressure from the crowbar should be more effective than simply pushing it.

7. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

The piece inside is turning with the bolt. It looks like it might be supposed to be attached to the metal tubing but broke off. I cannot get it to turn independently from the bolt. Its perfectly smooth all around so there isn't much to grab onto.

I will try a crowbar.

I could also drill out the head of the bolt and make it crack.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

My thinking is that the crowbar will add pressure to the piece in the tubing so that it won't move as much (because of the friction) and that if the threads are shot, the pressure will help you get back on the threads. If my original suggestion on prying between the metal and the tubing close to the bolt doesn't work, you might see if you can get the crowbar into the tubing and see if you can pry between the tubing and the moving piece.

9. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I am trying your method and i think it has helped a little bit. I have rammed a crowbar in-between the mounting bracket and the metal tube. My arms are so tired though, i have been working on this for literally like 4 hours.

10. Megatron macrumors regular

Do you have access to a sawzall? It will just take a minute or two to cut through the bolt head (try to keep it flush with the metal mounting bracket, or if you've made some space with the crowbar, pull the head of the bolt back so you can saw through the thread part, and then you'll be set.

Something like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100032118

I used one of these to cut through some bolts on an exhaust system that had been rusted so thoroughly I couldn't get them to turn.

11. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I have one, but there is not enough room I don't think to comfortably be able to do it.

This is annoying me.

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Sounds like it's time to take a break, drink a fruit protein smoothie, rest your arms and your mind, read a couple of stupid iPhone threads and attack it again in a couple of hours.

Good Luck.

13. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Chisel the head of the bolt off. :confused:

Of course some people like to torch the head of the bolt off.

15. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

put your wrench or w/e on it then hit the handle w/ a hammer. it will "shock" the bolt loose.

16. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Thats not the issue.

The bolt will turn but it will not loosen. There is not really a nut on it. When the dealer originally put them on they obviously overtightened the bolts and wrecked the threading.

Tomorrow night the right angle drill and drill bit are coming out and the bolts are getting drilled out.