Help with HD filling up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by outsidethebox, Dec 21, 2008.

1. outsidethebox macrumors member

Is there any way for me to find out where the majority of space is being taken up on my MBP?

I used the "get info" button for the movies, applications, music, and pictures folders, and they collectively add up to only 55 GB (out of my 120 GB). The HD says it actually only has 13 GB left though...Is there any program that would give me a pie-chart or something, and show me where the rest of this memory space is being used up?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I think WhatSize is the application you're looking for. There may be others on versiontracker, macupdate, but that's the one I've most frequently heard about.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the whole contents of your hard drive isnt just Applications, Library, System and Users. there are many System/Unix invisible files and folders that take up space too. here is a screen shot to illustrate this (some files/folders are from Windows writing to the disk so are irrelevant)

Screencapture 1.png
    [click to enlarge]

but if there are bits of your data in your home folder that are taking up a lot of space you can scope them out with WhatSize, GrandPerspective et al.

if you cant find much to delete you can use this guide for trimming down the system of Macs with small hard disks. if you dont wont to do a reinstall Google or search around here for the directories of the space hoggers.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As has been mentioned above, you can use several apps for getting a graphic representation of just what is taking up the space on your drive in the interest of clearing space.

Free Apps:

Disk Inventory X
    Grand Perspective

Commercial App:

WhatSize
    (Be aware that you can only scan 20Gb with the demo version of WhatSize- full functionality requires purchase of a license for $12.99)

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

There's also the non-graphical disk usage command, for ex.: sudo du -ks /*