Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simplyconfused

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I'm new to the Mac world and I just got an Apple TV and have started to buy some TV shows but one thing I have noticed is that some of the shows even though they say 1080p are like only 935MB and the standard is 335MB. My question is worth me paying the extra 10 bucks for the show or am I not really missing anything with sticking with SD which is cheaper. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm new to the Mac world and I just got an Apple TV and have started to buy some TV shows but one thing I have noticed is that some of the shows even though they say 1080p are like only 935MB and the standard is 335MB. My question is worth me paying the extra 10 bucks for the show or am I not really missing anything with sticking with SD which is cheaper. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

There are several threads here on Apple's encoding quality (that is, the lack of it). I'd say Apple's HD is much better than their SD (which is equally bad compared to DVD) but doesn't come close to what Blu-ray is capable of.

Personally, I've decided not to pay a penny for Apple's movies before they drastically increase the quality of their encoding. I stick with ripping my own BD discs, which can be very quickly done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.