help with HD PVR and Mac ? thanks

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jimbaw, Aug 19, 2011.

1. jimbaw macrumors newbie

hey, I am a lad thinking of getting a 21.5" entry level 2011 model iMac. however, I also want to buy a HD PVR so I can record games on my xbox. will the software hdpvrcapture ($30) work well for me? has anyone any problems with it? i would mostly be recording games and movies off my xbox 360 console. i have also seen the software EyeTV ($90). I cant verify paying this much for something unless it is noticebly and obviously better than other competitors in the same area. does anyone here have both programs and how do you find them? sorry for sounding like a fool asking all these questions but i want to be sure im buying the right software before i spend so much money. thanks for taking your time to read this. (its gonna be my first Mac i cant wait!)

thanks
    -Jim

2. rpmucha23 macrumors newbie

i own both pieces of software. i purchased the HDpvrcapture in a spur of the moment because i assumed it had mac software in the box (it didn't), then i found out EyeTV supported it, and purchased an upgrade from the old version i had from the original hybrid stick.

The HDpvrCapture program is very nice, and works well. Lots of options and adjustability, actually more options to tweak with than EyeTV. I believe it is written by one of the Hauggepauge guys on his free time.

But when recording from my Xbox or PS3 i use EyeTV mainly because i can quickly set my Start and Stop clip points and export to a edited file quickly, and not have to load up another piece of software to edit it.

Since the hardware does all the encoding, the visual quality will be the same. It all comes down do you need the editing, better playlist and UI for the difference in $$.