Help with HD replacement for Late 2006 Black MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wilted, May 15, 2011.

1. Wilted macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello! I am hoping for help with advice on replacing a recently deceased Toshiba HD in my Late 2006 MB. It is the original drive and it just passed on Wednesday night after no hint it was even ill! And sadly, I was unaware how big (capacity) and tiny (cost) externals have gotten since I last looked about 3 years ago. So .. I lost all my data. (However, it has been quite a year of loss for me, so the timing is good for this additional shedding of material goods! LOL! I keep telling myself this is all good for my karma! ; D)

Anyway, I managed to find Newegg.com and found what I think might be great drives for reviving my baby and I would just like some advice that I am on the right track. One drive is a slight dream. It is somewhat in my price range and offers the bonus of hybrid solid state - Seagate Momentum XT 500gb. Was wondering if any one had any experience with this drive and if it would work in an ancient machine like mine?

I am also thinking of Western Digital's Black Series in 500 GB or 320 GB? Any ideas or experience with these drives?

Also, since I am starting from scratch, should I consider upgrading to Snow Leopard at the same time? And could I get away with just getting the $29 disk from Apple or would I need the big box set? I have my OS 10.4 install disks in any event so I will have a operating system of some sort to install.

Lastly, I was having some intermittent connection issues with my Airport Base Station in the last few months. The computer would just drop away from the station even mere inches away. Is it possible the failing hard drive was the cause or while researching installing a new hard drive, should I also research new Wifi antennas? ; )

Thank you cry much for any help!
    Wil

2. Wilted thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry! VERY .. Not cry! On a Touch since they Mac died and I can't get down there on this to correct the wacky autofill word! Thanks again for any help you can lend!

3. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

You should consider either an SSD or a Hybrid drive for optimal performance. You can just buy the $29 snow leopard disc, I highly recommend upgrading. As for the Wifi dropping, as long as your router is good these cards do start to lose some of their abilities once they start aging. A new card can be bough cheap and is a pretty easy install.