Help with HDR/4K

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jjk454ss, Aug 11, 2016.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

im hoping to get a little guidance. I picked up a new TV that supports 4K and HDR. It's a Sony XBR. I've got an ATV 4, Mac Mini(2015?) base model, or a 2015 MacBook that I can use, or a Panasonic BD Player but I don't think that will help.

I'm wondering if I have options to download 4K HDR content and watch it. I have a 10MB Internet connection so I do t think streaming will work. Or am I wrong? I'm hoping I can maybe download some HDR content just to kind of check out the TV and see how good it could look. What's my options?

2. priitv8, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016

priitv8 macrumors 68020

Your only options to see 4K HDR content at the moment are:
    - download a clip, copy it to external drive and connect to USB port of your Bravia. Then use Video app to watch it.
    - have a HDR-capable 4K Blu-Ray player and disc. The list for both players and media is rather limited as of today.
    AppleTV does not fit into any of these scenarios.

PS Sony AndroidTV models also support ChromeCast natively, to be honest, I haven't tried if you could use ChromeCast to stream 4K HDR content.
    So far for me personally, the solution has been to use USB3.0 hard drive attached to the TV set.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I will have to try this. Thank you

4. Lumpy05 macrumors member

New Sony 4k UHD TV's should have access to their Ultra 4k Streaming app. You can buy UV content from Sony at 4K resolution but it will stream 4k to their app only not VUDU or other UV apps. You can also purchase 4k upgrades to digital copy redeems.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

My internet won't stream fast enough though

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That feature seems to be restricted to US market only, unfortunately.

7. Lumpy05 macrumors member

I don't have a Sony tv or the app but most of the UV apps have the option for downloading the content rather than streaming. Worth a try.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Many connections in the good old USA are not that fast! Plus now with data caps I don't see that coming down the pike to soon!