Help with HDTV hookup!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivre, Aug 21, 2010.

1. rivre macrumors newbie

This is the first major issue I've ever encountered as a mac user that makes me wish I had bought a PC.

I just bought this TV, thinking it would be a cinch to hook it up to my laptop to watch hulu, dvds, whatever. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32C350-32-Inch-720p-Black/dp/B0036EH186

So I finally figured out that I need an HDMI cable and a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI converter. But now I find that some macbook models don't allow audio output through the DP port. UGH. WHY CAN I NOT JUST HOOK AN HDMI CABLE TO MY COMPUTER DIRECTLY.

*calming sigh* OK so what do I need to buy for my 2009 Macbook with mini-DP port to get audio and video to play on my Samsung TV? I'm thinking this product should do it, but can anyone see a problem or reason I am overlooking that shows it might not work? http://www.amazon.com/Displayport-F...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1282457632&sr=1-5

Help,
    Frustrated User Who Wants to Keep Loving Her Macbook

2. Proph3T macrumors member

that accessory will work perfect for what you want to do

3. rivre thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, ordered it. hopefully it'll work out :)

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

only the new 2010 macbooks allow audio thru the mini dp port. You will also need to get a 3.5mm to rca cable or something for audio because your laptop doesn't output audio along w/ video on the mini -dp. As and alternative, you cna also run out mini toslink to toslink cable to your surround receiver if you are inclined to do so as the 3.5mm port also doubles as a mini toslink one.

5. RachelSchmidt macrumors newbie

Did your fix work??

Hello,
    Did the cable set up you used work for hooking up your TV?? Did you also needthe HDMI cable as well?? I have probably a 2008 macbook and wan to do the same thing... use my laptop to hook up the tv for things like net flix. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

6. gsavage777 macrumors newbie

7. RachelSchmidt, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

RachelSchmidt macrumors newbie

I need a few more specifics!

Thanks for the info, could you be specific on the audio cable?? Also When I went to Bestbuy their hdmi cables are 99 bucks, but there are a variety on amazon that are significantly chearper...is there something I am missing?

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes; BestBuy (and others) make a TON of money selling overpriced accessories with TVs and such; they do this to make up for the low margin on the TV. Once a consumer has settled on the TV, it's easy to upsell a bunch of accessories with obscene markups. Short of a poorly built cable or a very long run, there's no advantage to the high priced cables for digital signals.

See http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/31/mint-com-takes-on-overpriced-hdmi-cables/

Monoprice.com is a great source for low cost high quality cables.

9. Wakakanada, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

Wakakanada macrumors regular

iMac to HDTV cables versus Apple TV

So, if I run a DVI-to-HMDI cable from my first generation aluminum iMac to my new Bravia HDTV, and a mini-to-regular optical cable from my iMac to TV, which of the following will I be able to do:

1. Use Netflix;
    2. View my iTunes content on the TV;
    3. See my computer screen mirrored on the TV?

If I can do all of these with cables, is there any advantage to buying an Apple TV other than being wireless?
    Also, would Apple TV allow me to use my TV as a monitor, or only use Netflix and iTunes?

10. RachelSchmidt macrumors newbie

audio cables??

thanks for the info!! I won't be a douchbag and buy over priced, but I need a little guidance on the audio cable. There seem to be endless options, most also say audio/optical?? Any suggestions?

11. BurningJah macrumors regular

what about the cables from this site.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

13. jim4spam macrumors member

Hi Rachel

When I hooked up my TV to my 2007 macbook, I used a HDMI cable (via displayport adapter) for the picture, and for the audio I looked on the back of the TV and there was a 3.5mm audio port (AUDIO IN) on the back of the TV, so I bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack in the MacBook to the input in the TV.

here's an example (I bust bought a cable locally)
    http://www.cablesforless.com/p-3019...-stereo-audio-cable-assembled-in-the-usa.aspx

good luck
    Jim.

14. RachelSchmidt macrumors newbie

I'm so close

I thought I had it in the bag.. so I got the netflix on my TV but i'm having issues with the sound. I have the audio cable but can't get the sound to the tv. It will only play on my computer. I'm using the mini DVI to HDMI cable out of my laptop. Would the miniDispayport with the usb audio on it be better?
    I was pretty proud that I even got the netflix to show up on my tv... but got stymied with the sound! dang it!
    Rachel

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't think a miniDisplayport adapter will plug into a miniDVI port, so I suspect that adapter won't do a thing for you.

I'm not too familiar with the 2008 Macbooks, but previous to the mid-2010 models, audio wasn't supported on the miniDisplayport so whether the adapter supports it or not won't matter.

I suspect your only option is to use a secondary audio cable as described previously; your TV will need to be able to accept audio from a separate source when displaying HDMI video.