Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemc123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Hello All,

I received my time capsule today and am wondering about setup, didn't expect all the options available. I currently have two airport express units, one for upstairs one for down with feed for whole house audio. Am thinking of disconnecting the one upstairs and bringing it to work, and using the TC for wireless for our Mac laptops (4), as well as backup. Am using AT&T Uverse for internet and TV. I have some files on the Imac that I would like to get at across the internet if it's not too much of a hassle. Any specific suggestions would be appreciated. Currently running snow leopard.

Steve.

reese637

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Canada
Hello All,

I received my time capsule today and am wondering about setup, didn't expect all the options available. I currently have two airport express units, one for upstairs one for down with feed for whole house audio. Am thinking of disconnecting the one upstairs and bringing it to work, and using the TC for wireless for our Mac laptops (4), as well as backup. Am using AT&T Uverse for internet and TV. I have some files on the Imac that I would like to get at across the internet if it's not too much of a hassle. Any specific suggestions would be appreciated. Currently running snow leopard.

Steve.

Hello.
For Airport Utility 5.6:
If you'd like to be able to access your files on your iMac, you'll need to go into AirPort Utility, select your main router, click Manual Setup, Advanced, Port Mapping, and +. Select Personal File Sharing in the service drop down, and make sure every text box says 548 EXCEPT for Private IP Address. Here you must enter you iMac's private ip address. If you don't know what it is, go to your iMac, System Preferences, Network. You should find it under Status: connected (and it should look something like 10.0.1.x or 192.168.1.x). Once you've entered your private ip address in Airport Utility, click continue, and then Done. Now, go ahead and update you router.
To access your iMac's files on a remote computer, go to Finder, Go, Connect to Server. Here you must enter afp://YOUR-PUBLIC-IP-HERE.
If you don't know your public ip, go to the iMac, and go to ipchicken.com. That number is your public ip address. Enter that in and press connect. Eh voila - you should be connected to your iMac. Just note: 1. File sharing must be turned on in the iMac's system preferences for this to work. 2. Both your public ip and your private ip can change, and this will screw up your file sharing. In order to keep your private ip, go into Airport utility, Internet, DHCP, and DHCP reservations. Click +, enter you iMac's MAC address (found in Network in System Pref), and type any ip address you want.

Okay, I think that's about it. If I left out anything/it doesn't work, let me know!

Good luck with the network setup!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.