Help with Home Office Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Titus, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Titus macrumors member

Just bought a new iMac quad and I love it. I also received a replacement computer from Dell that is pretty high end. I use an HP 17 inch laptop as well. Set up Airport Extreme and everything seems to be working. Is there a way to use my iMac as a monitor for the Dell computer?

I really love this monitor so much I hate to hook the Dell up to my Dell 24 inch monitor and would rather give up that monitor and gain desk space. The only other option is to use a Samsung 40 inch LED TV as my Dell's monitor.

I use the iMac for video, pictures and music. I have Windows 7 running via Parallels but would rather just use the new Dell as a Windows computer and the iMac for personal use.

This is my first experience with Apple and I really love it.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If the iMac is not 27", then no.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

4. Titus thread starter macrumors member

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well then you're in luck. See that little Mini DisplayPort there? Get an adapter for whatever your Dell is using, plug that bad boy in, and do this little thing*, and BAM.

*this little thing is something you find in the manual - I have no idea how to switch the display over to the input, because I don't, and never had, owned a 27"er. You lucky bastard.

6. Titus thread starter macrumors member