Help with I/O Errors, and Data Fork -36 Errors... driving me mental!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Diggity Dang, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Diggity Dang macrumors newbie

I'm so frustrated I've been pulling my hair out for the last few days.

I have 3 dvd's of my wedding video that I got from our friend who filmed it all for us. My goal is to get them all into DV format so I can use/edit it in iMovie. I managed to do the first disk using Toast (doing a disk image, then a convert). When I realized how large my file was (10 gig's... I have lots of room, about 100 gig's still, but I don't want to clog up HDD space), I went out and bought an external hard drive. I got a "Western Digital My Book Home Edition". After transferring the first dvd over to the My Book, I went to convert the second disk I got from the videographer, and have now been getting errors on Toast... it says "The file 'Video_TS.VOB' could not be accessed. (Data fork, -36)". Then, when I hit ok, it says "Couldn't complete the last command because there was an I/O error (your disc may be copy-protected)". As a test, I went and did the first disk again, and I'm getting the same errors. What has the WD External Drive DONE???

So I know it's not copy protected, because 1) our friend filmed it for us (and gave us all the original tapes too) and 2) I did this with one of the disks already. I also tried doing it various other ways as well, like transferring the file to my desktop first (won't go to my desktop - same type of error), and using disk utility (input output error). I even tried repairing the disk permissions, and repairing the disk... still no luck.

If anyone can PLEASE help, it would be much appreciated... Thanks so much!!!!

ps. Oh, and I re-formatted the external drive to HFS+, from FAT32 when I realized that I couldn't transfer the first disk over to it (>4 gigs).
    pps. I unplugged the external drive, and I'm still getting the same problem (is the external drive even the problem, or is the timing just coincidence???).

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You stated you reformatted the disk from FAT32 To HFS+. But did you change the partition map itself to support the Mac?

Go back into Disk Utility, select the device name and click the Partitions tab.

Change "Current" to "1 Partition" (this enables the Options button).
    Click the Options and change from "Master Boot Record" to one of these...
    For PPC select the Apple partition map.
    For Intel select the GUID partition map.
    Click OK.
    Name the disk and Click Apply.

Now copy your DVD's VideoTS folders to that drive.

3. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG, merl1n, where were you 5 days ago?????? hahahaha... This TOTALLY worked... do most people know to do this???? There are so many forums I checked in search of this answer!!!

Either way, thank you SOOOOOOO much!!!!! You RULE!!!!!!

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Thanks. :D

Where was I???

For the holiday weekend I was stuck with this...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=512361

... and had little time for supporting members of MacRumors.

5. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

I responded to your other post, but in case you didn't make the connection (between my comments there, and this posting), wanted to say thanks again here.

6. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh NO!!! I just went to save the disk image in Toast for my second disk and got the same errors again!!

How did it work for only one night??? Sorry to bug you guys again about this...

7. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, is there a file limit in HFC+? I have a feeling that my second disk is longer than the first... Toast keeps pausing at "Filling RAM cache - 13%", before I get that message... maybe the file is too big???

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Could be that Toast didn't clean up after itself or there were file errors during the copy of the Video TS folder to disk.

Try this:

1. Download OnyX (free maintenance utility).
    2. Boot SAFE BOOT mode.
    3. Run Onyx and clean all of your cache files (system, user, fonts, etc.)
    4. After reboot, download "Fairmount" from here:
    http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/
    5. Insert the original DVD and launch Fairmount (see the read me file for it).
    6. Now copy the VideoTS folder from the Fairmounted Disk to your hard drive.
    7. Quit Fairmount, the original DVD will reappear. Eject the DVD.
    8. Try Toast again.

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Forgot to answer this...

File size is not an issue with the MacOS, but I don't know what version of Toast you are using. If it is an old version (like from a PPC now running under Rosetta and not optimized for Intel), file size may be an issue with it.

10. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for being there Merl1n! Ok, so I downloaded OnyX, only to realize that I need OSX 10.5 or greater... I'm on 10.4.11. Is there another way to achieve the same goal of cleaning my cache on 10.4.11?

Oh, and fyi, I'm using Toast 9.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You got the wrong version of OnyX. Check the site again - there are versions for Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, and Leopard. You want the one for Tiger.

12. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks wrldwzrd89!! I'm a bit of a dumb dumb when it comes to fixing this stuff (if you couldn't already tell!)... I'm downloading the correct version now (I think!!).

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Here we go "tagteaming" again wrldwzrd89. :D

14. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

So in the middle of copying the Video_TS folder to my desktop, the Finder/Copy window appears to be frozen... can't stop it... it's been sitting at "About 6 minutes" for about half an hour now...

I can't re-start the mac or anything right now...

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Maybe you have a dirty or scratched disc.

You need to hard restart the computer at this point (hold down the power button until it reboots), and hold down the mouse button when the computer reboots to tell it to eject the offending disc. After that, turn the disc over and inspect it. Do you see any smudges, scratches, or other problems?

16. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done a had restart now... but, DVD looks perfect with no smudges, scratches or anything...

Not sure what to do next here... hmmmmm...

17. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok,

1. Please tell me what kind of Mac this is, what version of the MacOS you are running and the specifications (cpu, speed, memory, etc).

2. Did this happen using Fairmount?

3. Since you are frozen, you will need to emergency power off. Then boot Safe Boot mode which should fix any file system damage you may have done with the power off.

I am sending you a Private Message. Please respond asap.

Merl1n

18. Diggity Dang thread starter macrumors newbie

1. 17" Macbook Pro - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo... 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

2. It actually happened using Fairmount, where I had "converted" the DVD, and then I went to copy the Video_TS file to the desktop... upon the copy to desktop, it froze.

3. I haven't done this yet, but are you saying to just boot in under safe mode, then just log off, and log back in under non-safe-mode?

19. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Boot Safe Boot mode, at the login screen hit the back button and restart.

20. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

For anyone else following this thread, here are my findings.

Most of this was done with the OP via Private Email. My findings and suggestions were based on system logs sent to me and output from Terminal commands I instructed the OP to run.