Help with IChat 4.0.5 - Sharing Files With IChat Theater

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Erk, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Erk macrumors newbie

Alright guys, I'm new here and I just have a quick question about IChat Theater. First off, I'll give you my hardware specs. I'm running a Macbook with 4 GB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz processor. This is running Leopard 10.5.4. Ok. What I'm trying to do is use IChat Theater to watch movies with my girlfriend, who's overseas right now. My problem is that when I try to do that, I can share the video but no audio. Like, the audio does not play on either end. These video files are all .avi. My question is, how do I get this to work? I don't know whether the problem lies with the .avis, whether that file extension isn't supported or something. I know the files are good, they work just fine when it's my computer alone. I've also noticed the audio for the .avi's won't play when I use Quicktime. I have to use VLC player to get them to work right. So. Can anyone help me get this working? Point me to a codec, a converter, or a add on that I need please. I'm starting to think it's an audio codec problem, seeing as how Quicktime won't load the audio either. Anyway. Anything you guys can give me would be great. Preferably free, but I might pay for something if it seems to be worth it. Thanks in advance. And sorry for the wall of text :D.

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

if quicktime won't play it then iChat theater wont either.

you can convert the avi files using something like visualhub. Experiment with a smaller file first to get settings that you're happy with.

3. Dearon16 macrumors newbie

I know this is a few months late, but Perian got all my video files to work in Quicktime.
    It supports the following:
    * File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
    * Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture
    * Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO
    * AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
    * Subtitle support for SSA/ASS and SRT
    It'll show up in the "Other" pane in your system preferences once installed. I read on another forum that, if you have the quicktime DivX codec installed, to remove it from your system.

Also, it's free!