Help with iChat and AOL 9.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hulugu, Jul 31, 2007.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm trying to help someone get their AIM video chat working with several people who use iChat and for some reason everytime someone (either her or myself on the other end) attempt to initiate a video chat, we get an error:

user cancelled invitation

It happens whether I invite her to a chat using iChat or she does it via AOL. Any ideas?

Note: She's using a Toshiba with an integrated video camera running Vista. I'm running iChat on 10.4.10 with a MacBook Pro.

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

User Cancelled Invitation can sometimes mean a firewall issue. Check the firewall on both machines.

3. hulugu thread starter macrumors 68000

hulugu

Funny you said that, I just tried changing the firewall settings. I even turned off the firewall on Windows, still no dice. On Windows XP, the problem was often UPnP, which for some reason, would dork up the connection, but I can't figure out where UPnP controls are on Windows Vista. OSX's firewall seems to be allowing the iChat connection. Any port suggestions?

4. devman macrumors 65816

devman

There is an Apple support doc that list the iChat ports, but if OSX is allowing it through and you turned off the Windows firewall, then firewalls (and thus ports) are not the problem. Are you using a router?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

5. hulugu thread starter macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes. Good idea. I'll check the router ports at the other end, I don't think it's my airport.

6. dfdennis macrumors newbie

I have an iMac and had that happen. I also use an airport express and tried a firmaware update of it (I think 6.3) and then it worked.

Dennis

7. hulugu thread starter macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, I've tried running the whole thing through one wireless router in a different location and it did the same thing. It's something in the Vista machine, I just can't figure it out.

Thanks for the help all.