Help with iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abner-doubleday, Feb 17, 2010.

1. abner-doubleday macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've been having a persistent problem with my iChat software, and after searching for a solution I decided I should try here for my help.

I'm on a MacBook 13" with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz processor and 2GB of memory. I'm running the latest Mac OSX (v10.5.8) I bought this computer in September of 2009 as a 21st b-day present to myself. All of my life, I had been a Windows/Dell user. Finally, I just got so damn pissed off with all of the problems, I converted. Haven't looked back since. After 21 years of Windows use, I'd say I was above-average to excellent at fixing problems myself. Now I'm on a completely different OS and interface, so the learning is slow. I need help with a persistent problem with my iChat software.

I use my iChat as a replacement for AIM, mainly because I find it much more fluid than the AIM program offered for the Mac. About 3 or 4 months ago my problem began. I will click on my iChat icon and the login process begins. I get the nifty little login sound, and the buddy list will drop down. However, there's no one online, even when I know my friends are using AIM or iChat. After about 5 minutes of blank buddy list, iChat disconnects, instantly reconnects, then instantly disconnects. I would say it disconnects/reconnects about 15-20 instances each time the problem happens. After that, I get kicked off of iChat and the AIM servers for trying to connect too many times in the given time period.

The biggest rub, though, is that sometimes I can get on iChat and it works fine, but other times this problem happens. I would say that the program is 50-50 to work for me. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Delete the file called "com.apple.iChat.plist" in /users/(your account name)/Library/Preferences and see if that fixes it.

Be aware that you will have to enter your account information for AIM again.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a suggestion. Get a Dell. Seriously, AIM for Windows will stay connected no matter what. Even AIM for OS X is pretty decent. iChat is... bad.