Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fscarpa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
I have a movie divided into 2 .avi files. I'd like to join them into one and make a DVD with the movie divided in chapters (that I would choose where each one starts). Is that possible? How do I do this?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Join them in iMovie, chapterize them in iMovie, export to iDVD, burn to a disk.

Note that MPEG-2 is a much larger filesize than AVI or MPEG-4, so if it comes to "barely fitting" size-wise as an AVI, it won't fit on a viewable DVD.

I'm guessing this is pirated? It's irrelevant, but I'm just curious. :)

fscarpa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Sorry for the probably silly question, but...
...how do I join them and then chapterize them in iMovie? I couldn't do this. (iLife '08).

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Sorry for the probably silly question, but...
...how do I join them and then chapterize them in iMovie? I couldn't do this. (iLife '08).

Oh dear... that would be why... :(

I believe that the '08 version of iMovie can't add chapters, but iMovie '06 can, provided you can find it.

Or if you purchase iLife '09, you can regain the chapterization ability with the look and feel of iMovie '08.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
There are many workarounds on the net concerning making chapter markers in iLife 08 including the most common one about using Garageband to do it here -the first result in Google using "chapter markers imovie 08" as a search string. Try that page or Google that search string more for many other references to doing it.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If you're just going be watching it on computer, there's no need to join the files. Just use VLC to create a playlist with the two movie files and save the playlist to disk. Whenever you want to watch the movie, open the playlist file and it will run seamlessly.

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
If you're just going be watching it on computer, there's no need to join the files. Just use VLC to create a playlist with the two movie files and save the playlist to disk. Whenever you want to watch the movie, open the playlist file and it will run seamlessly.

That doesn't work if they want to burn a DVD (thus the "Help with iDVD" title). :rolleyes:

And unfortunately, Apple removed the chapter markers in iMovie '08, however they were put back into the suite in iMovie '09 (gotta love Apple). So after a quick Google search, I found this result which is a step-by-step tutorial for a workaround to get your chapter markers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.