Help with iMac configuration decision

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imacuserss, Sep 29, 2013.

1. imacuserss macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 iMac and I'm ready for an upgrade to the latest 2013 version. I will be using it most of the time for: Photo editing (Lightroom, iPhoto), Music (Garage Band, Logic Pro), and some small video editing (IMovie). For these applications which out of these 3 would give me the most performance boost (they're all the same price). Also keep in mind I'd like to have the machine for at least 4-5 years before upgrading again.

Base model + additional 8GB RAM
    Base model + fusion drive
    More expensive Base model (better CPU + Graphics Card).

Right now I'm tempted to go with the more expensive unit and eventually down the line upgrade the RAM (which I heard is difficult to do in the 2013 iMac.... although I've upgraded the HD on the 2007 myself).

I've researched this online and I'm amazed how many different opinions I found. I always thought this is a strictly technical question which could only have one answer. Any experts out there who could weigh in?
    Any other options I might have missed?

Appreciate everyone's help!

2. Serban Suspended

for the 27" imac the ram is user upgradable so very easy like in 20 sec :D
    for 21.5" is not

3. cycledance Suspended

definitely get the 27"
    don't worry about ram now. u can add it later. u can also boot from a good external ssd later.

4. bluescale macrumors member

What's your budget? The $1999 base model + fusion drive upgrade would last you quite some time, be fast, and allow you to upgrade RAM at a later point if you need it.

5. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Definitely, definitely get the Fusion drive at a minimum. It's the biggest performance increase.

It sounds like you're savvy enough to slot in two sticks of RAM yourself, so go the third party route when you need to.

Keep the stock video card unless you game/3D render/etc.

6. imacuserss thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate everyone's feedback, but the three choices I listed would all cost $1500, and it sounds like everyone's recommendation is the 27" which would be much more expansive. Actually the base 27" doesn't include neither the extra 8GB RAM or the Flash drive. I'm curious what would make that a better buy? (I don't care about the screen size btw).

elithrar.... thanks for sticking to my budget :), so you believe the fusion drive gives the biggest boost?

7. bluescale macrumors member

You didn't give us a budget (or even mention which models you were looking at - there are 4 different base models, so it's hard to know without specifics). That's why I asked for your budget. :)

The 27" has several benefits:

1. User upgradable RAM. This way you don't have to pay Apple's absurd prices for memory, and can upgrade it when you need to as opposed to going all in from the beginning.
    2. Higher max RAM. Over time, you can top out at 32GB (vs. 16GB), giving you more longevity.
    3. Better GPU by default
    4. 7200 rpm hdd vs. 5400 rpm hdd. I'm not sure if the FD is also paired with a 7200 rpm hdd, though.
    5. Bigger screen, which you don't care about.

Hope that helps explain my thinking.

8. imacuserss thread starter macrumors newbie

you're right....my fault... I should've specified the base model I was referring to is the 21" model, so my budget is $1500.