Help with importing iPhone contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joeytom, May 18, 2012.

1. joeytom macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the iPhone and am in need of some help.

I upgraded to the 4s after using a sony-ericsson flip phone. I am a Windows user, and have kept an excel file stored on my computer that contained names and phone numbers of everybody in my contact list on that phone. It is simply a two-column spreadsheet: (A) Name; (B) Phone Number. There are over 100 people (rows), so typing them into my iPhone one-by-one would take forever. I expect that Apple, being the supposed champions of simplicity, has a method in which I can quickly copy all the contacts from the excel file to my iPhone.

Here is step sequence I have tried (unsuccessfully):
    1. Tell iPhone to sync with Windows 7 Contacts (via iTunes)
    2. Export my excel file as a .csv file
    3. Move the .csv file to my Windows 7 contacts folder

This didn't work. Is there anything else I can do? Entering the contacts in one at a time would take a long time, and would really piss me off considering I expected that an Apple product would be far more user friendly for the price I paid. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. nephron8 macrumors regular

Move that csv file in outlook.
    Verify the import.
    Through iTunes , select sync with outlook contacts.

Another way will be iCloud , import the contacts in iCloud and contacts come to your iPhone.

Hope this helps

3. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Another way is to back up contacts to external storage on the SE phone. It will back it up as a group vCard (at least that's how it worked on my w880i) which will be on the SD card somewhere. Email the vCard to yourself and fetch it with the iPhone, which will prompt you to import.