Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnydrums34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
Hey everyone I could really use someone's advice and help on an issue I'm having.

I have a massive movie collection and I'm starting the process of ripping these DVD's and building a digital library on my iTunes so I can organize them and view on my 3rd Generation AppleTV.

Here is my issue: I'm using Handbrake version 0.9.9 (64 bit) to rip. I used the AppleTV 3 presets to do so. After I ripped my first DVD it plays and looks great through my VLC player. Here is where the problem comes in.

I'm using a 1.5 TB Seagate External Hard Drive for all of my music and movies. When I attempt to import the M4V file into iTunes 11.1.4 it imports half way then an error message pops up saying that the hard disk cannot be read or written to and that the import failed. This is strange because it IS allowing me to import new music without any issues and my external hard drive ISN'T having any issues as far as I know. All the files are still there and everything seems to be working properly.

Is this particular file corrupted or could I be doing something wrong in the ripping process?

Someone please help, I've googled this and no one seems to be having this similar issue.

I'm running a 2009 Macbook OS X 10.9.1 I believe I'm running Mavericks.

I'm new to this site and not super tech savvy so any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

don't know what the problem is, but I suggest this :

Try copying this particular file from the external HD to the desktop : does it work ?

johnnydrums34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
Hi,

don't know what the problem is, but I suggest this :

Try copying this particular file from the external HD to the desktop : does it work ?

Yes I should have specified that I have the MV4 file saving to my desktop already when it's done ripping in Handbrake. So it's fine there, the issue is when I try to add to iTunes which is on my external hard drive.

I read some different posts about codecs. Could that be the issue?

When I click get info on my ripped file here is how the Codec reads:
H.264, AAC, AC3, QuickTime Text

When I click get info from a movie I downloaded through the iTunes store here is how the Codec reads:
MPEG-4 AAC, AVC0 Media, pac3, p608, 3GPP Text, Photo - JPEG

Would that make any difference?

johnnydrums34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
Just in case : what is the format of your external HD and the size of the file you try to add to iTunes ?

The file is 1.12 GB.

I have a large iTunes library that is over 460 gigs worth of music. But I still have over 700 gigs remaining on my external HD.

The format says Mac OS Extended when I click get info. I'm assuming that's where I would find the format?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Yes that's right, no problem with the format or the file size.

You should try with another file to see if it works or not.

Other than that I personally have no idea and hope someone else will help you.

johnnydrums34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
I tried troubleshooting some different ways and still haven't found a solution.

I ripped a different DVD and tried to add to iTunes and the same error message came up. I dragged the file to my external hard drive and it DID add but when I would try to play that file through VLC on my external HD it played choppy and broken up as opposed to it playing crystal clear when playing through VLC from my Macbook.

I tried dragging that file from my external HD into iTunes and it wouldn't even show any import progress as if I had not attempted to add a file.

Maybe my external HD is just crapping out when it comes to that particular type of file. I'm really not sure.

Thanks for the help.

If you come up with anything please let me know.

I guess worst case scenario is to maybe purchase another external HD and start using that one in hopes that it will work.

----------

Just randomly tried to add the file to iTunes from my desktop and it copied further than it had before then right before it finished copying it failed and a different error message came up saying that "the required file is in use."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.