Help with InputManagers in OS X 10.5?

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
I have Saft and Stand on my computer but can't get them to work. I have the newest version of SIMBL but I'm not sure how to get them to work.

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
The middle of BentFork, TN
Apple has severely restricted ("disabled" is the report at most places) input managers in Leopard in the name of security. Very good info on this and a possible workaround at the TextMate Blog page.

Try these things (from the blog page):

- Input Manager bundles must be located in the /Library/InputManagers folder NOT in your user's ~/Library/InputManagers folder. Move your bundles accordingly.

- All bundle contents must be owned by the root user and the admin group. From terminal, set ownership using:

Code:
sudo chown -R root:admin /Library/InputManagers

These instructions worked for me and I am successfully using SafariBlock in Safari 3.0.4 under OS X 10.5.

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Try these things (from the blog page):

- Input Manager bundles must be located in the /Library/InputManagers folder NOT in your user's ~/Library/InputManagers folder. Move your bundles accordingly.

- All bundle contents must be owned by the root user and the admin group. From terminal, set ownership using:

Code:
sudo chown -R root:admin /Library/InputManagers
These instructions worked for me and I am successfully using SafariBlock in Safari 3.0.4 under OS X 10.5.
Doesn't work for Saft. :(

Comment

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
Success with Inquisitor!

HOWEVER... you MUST modify the Install yourself.

1. Run Inquisitor Install.
2. MOVE the Inquisitor bundle folder out of your user's ~/Library/InputManagers folder and into the /Library/InputManagers folder.
3. Run the chown command again from terminal to reset file ownership.

As far as Saft, the author builds in version control so the current B6 for Safari 3.0.3 will not work anyway in Leopard.

Let's hope there is some officially supported plugin system for Safari in the works........

Attachments

Comment

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
Success with Inquisitor!

HOWEVER... you MUST modify the Install yourself.

1. Run Inquisitor Install.
2. MOVE the Inquisitor bundle folder out of your user's ~/Library/InputManagers folder and into the /Library/InputManagers folder.
3. Run the chown command again from terminal to reset file ownership.

As far as Saft, the author builds in version control so the current B6 for Safari 3.0.3 will not work anyway in Leopard.

Let's hope there is some officially supported plugin system for Safari in the works........
Awesome! Hopefully DW will update the app to do this automagically :)

Comment

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
For the OP, SafariStand also appears to work using this method, and without the need for any additional plugin management apps. :)

Note the author's warning about using the "Remove metal Texture" option. He also suggests using third-party plugin apps which do not seem to be necessary at this point if you follow the steps above.

I suspect that all of these bundles will have problems with auto-upgrade functions, however.

Comment

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
Inquisitor now works for me after installing the latest SIMBL, and Inquisitor 3.0 v 49. Installing the latest SIMBL also has re-enabled SafariStand.

It worked for me before installing that neat app that psychofreak linked to.

PlugSuit hasn't enabled Forget-Me-Not, unfortunately.

Comment

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
Inquisitor's author also updated the installer to meet Leopard requirements. I have tested a number of InputManager bundles using the manual move + reset ownership methods and all seem to function so far. That's good news for the Safari 3.0.x campatible plugins over at PimpMySafari. Now we just need a new version of Saft........

Inquisitor now works for me after installing the latest SIMBL, and Inquisitor 3.0 v 49. Installing the latest SIMBL also has re-enabled SafariStand.

It worked for me before installing that neat app that psychofreak linked to.

PlugSuit hasn't enabled Forget-Me-Not, unfortunately.

Comment

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
The thing is, Inquisitor didn't work with just installing it, and restarting Safari.

It took a new install of SIMBL to get it working.

Oh, and I upgraded to Leopard, rather than an Archive/Install or a clean install.

Inquisitor's author also updated the installer to meet Leopard requirements. I have tested a number of InputManager bundles using the manual move + reset ownership methods and all seem to function so far. That's good news for the Safari 3.0.x campatible plugins over at PimpMySafari. Now we just need a new version of Saft........

Comment

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
Did you by chance try the chmod terminal command after installing? Seems I have to re-run this from Terminal anytime I move anything in or out of /Library/InputManagers. Also trash your personal ~/Library/InputManagers folder if it still exists.

The thing is, Inquisitor didn't work with just installing it, and restarting Safari.

It took a new install of SIMBL to get it working.

Oh, and I upgraded to Leopard, rather than an Archive/Install or a clean install.

Comment