Help with InputManagers in OS X 10.5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by badcrumble, Oct 26, 2007.

1. badcrumble macrumors regular

I have Saft and Stand on my computer but can't get them to work. I have the newest version of SIMBL but I'm not sure how to get them to work.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try this :) I'm not 100% certain it will work though...if you can, please also try Inquisitor and report if it works...

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Saft hasn't been updated for Leopard yet (I can't wait either).

Psycho freak, that's an interesting app.

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

Apple has severely restricted ("disabled" is the report at most places) input managers in Leopard in the name of security. Very good info on this and a possible workaround at the TextMate Blog page.

Try these things (from the blog page):

- Input Manager bundles must be located in the /Library/InputManagers folder NOT in your user's ~/Library/InputManagers folder. Move your bundles accordingly.

- All bundle contents must be owned by the root user and the admin group. From terminal, set ownership using:

Code:
    sudo chown -R root:admin /Library/InputManagers

These instructions worked for me and I am successfully using SafariBlock in Safari 3.0.4 under OS X 10.5.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Could you please try Inquisitor for me :)

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Doesn't work for Saft. :(

7. mediaguru macrumors regular

Success with Inquisitor!

HOWEVER... you MUST modify the Install yourself.

1. Run Inquisitor Install.
    2. MOVE the Inquisitor bundle folder out of your user's ~/Library/InputManagers folder and into the /Library/InputManagers folder.
    3. Run the chown command again from terminal to reset file ownership.

As far as Saft, the author builds in version control so the current B6 for Safari 3.0.3 will not work anyway in Leopard.

Let's hope there is some officially supported plugin system for Safari in the works........

Attached Files:

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Awesome! Hopefully DW will update the app to do this automagically :)

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This would definitely take a LOT of marketshare from IE on the Windows side and FF on both...

10. mediaguru macrumors regular

For the OP, SafariStand also appears to work using this method, and without the need for any additional plugin management apps. :)

Note the author's warning about using the "Remove metal Texture" option. He also suggests using third-party plugin apps which do not seem to be necessary at this point if you follow the steps above.

I suspect that all of these bundles will have problems with auto-upgrade functions, however.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

At least with Webclip we'll be able to watch those sites without RSS for updates...

12. cuestakid macrumors 68000

can someone explain the "Chown" command line-do I simply type it into terminal?

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can simply copy and paste the code into the terminal and hit enter. Or you can type it in, whatever you fancy.

14. mediaguru macrumors regular

You will also have to authenticate yourself - not only at the command line but also in the Finder when moving or coping files to/from the /Library/InputManagers folder.

15. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Worked for me with SafariBlock 1.30 and Leopard. Thank you so much! Now back to my ad-free surfing!

16. skwij macrumors 6502

Inquisitor now works for me after installing the latest SIMBL, and Inquisitor 3.0 v 49. Installing the latest SIMBL also has re-enabled SafariStand.

It worked for me before installing that neat app that psychofreak linked to.

PlugSuit hasn't enabled Forget-Me-Not, unfortunately.

17. mediaguru macrumors regular

Inquisitor's author also updated the installer to meet Leopard requirements. I have tested a number of InputManager bundles using the manual move + reset ownership methods and all seem to function so far. That's good news for the Safari 3.0.x campatible plugins over at PimpMySafari. Now we just need a new version of Saft........

18. skwij macrumors 6502

The thing is, Inquisitor didn't work with just installing it, and restarting Safari.

It took a new install of SIMBL to get it working.

Oh, and I upgraded to Leopard, rather than an Archive/Install or a clean install.

19. mediaguru macrumors regular

Did you by chance try the chmod terminal command after installing? Seems I have to re-run this from Terminal anytime I move anything in or out of /Library/InputManagers. Also trash your personal ~/Library/InputManagers folder if it still exists.