Help with installing 10.5.7 update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hmmay, May 26, 2009.

1. hmmay macrumors newbie

I have an older MacBook (as in, not the newest one, but the one before it, 160GB), and the only software update I need right now is OS X 10.5.7, and I've tried to install it a few times now. It takes hours, and it never finishes. It completes the first part, but after restarting, the loading/installing bar fills up a little less than a quarter, and stops there (it doesn't actually stop, it just hasn't gotten any farther, even when it's been installing for hours at a time). This is when it says "installing configuration," or something along the lines of it.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or does it really take this long? Or should I bring it in to a store?

Thank you!

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Download it directly from Apple rather than using the software update.

3. hmmay thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to do that now, and it downloaded and now I'm installing. I've gotten to the step called "Destination Select," and I click Macintosh HD, my only option, and it says, "You cannot install Mac OS X Server Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  5. hmmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, gosh. I feel dumb.

Hm, I thought I did that one. Well, I'll try it.

Thank you!

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    No problem, let us know how it goes! :)

7. hmmay thread starter macrumors newbie

So I've downloaded the update from the Apple website (for the second time now), and it's finished and now is actually installing. I've gone through the steps of: Introduction, Read Me, and License, but now I'm stuck on the step Destination Select.

My only choice is Macintosh HD, but there's a big red stop sign/exclamation point. Under the icon, it says, "110 GB available 148 GB total." Under that it says "You cannot install Mac OS X Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I checked the "Get Info" option when you right-click on Macintosh HD, and it says:
    "Capacity: 148.73 GB
    Available: 110.41
    Used: 38.32 GB"

So, I'm not really sure what's going on. Is there not enough room? Please help!

8. MacManiac777 macrumors member

"You cannot install Mac OS X Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." This error usually occurs when trying to use a delta updater on a version prior to that directly below the update. ie when trying to install the 10.5.7 update on a machine running 10.5.5 or earlier.

Try using the combo updater, the combo updater will update any version of 10.5 to 10.5.7.
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1057comboupdate.html

9. hypertech macrumors newbie

I had the same problem like yours. Installed the combo update instead and voila! Mine is 10.5.7 now with no problems (so far). Hope you can get yours properly updated too. :)