Help with installing .dmg files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by discocaine, Jun 11, 2007.

1. discocaine macrumors newbie

I'm new here (obv.) and i asked a friend where i should best ask mac related questions so please bare with me if i'm abit clueless.

Okay, after around 7 months (got my MacBook Pro in September last year) i started to not be able to install programs downloaded off the internet.

It would download and then ask me if i want to continue once it had finished, i'd say 'yes' and then the program would try and 'mount' and then it'd say, 'mounting failed' or 'disk image failed' (i can't remember which tbh). Anyway, the point is they wouldn't install. Nevertheless whenever i'd try and load the said program anyway by double clicking it from the desktop it'd load and then say 'broken pipe'. :S

So, yeh, anyone know the problem/a way to fix it? xx

2. Avaritia macrumors newbie

Hmm, unable to mount disc images.

I would suggest using the disc utility to create a .dmg file, use these instructions to create one (Don't choose to encrypt though, it's not necessary). Once you have created the disc image, see if it will mount.

If it does not mount, use the Disk Utility first aid to repair your permissions, and verify your disc. If you get no errors after verifying the disc, try mounting the disc image again, if the issue persists then come back and we'll try something else.

3. discocaine thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i just tried the first bit. I opened Disk Utility and tried opening a New file like the guide instructed, it then immediatly stated 'broken pipe'. I have no idea what has happened :S.

4. Avaritia macrumors newbie

Okay, try verifying the disc and running the repair permissions (Run it again if you see anything like "We are using special permissions/permissions differ/permissions changed"). Then tell me what it says.

Edit: Also, what version of Mac OS X are you running? You can find that information by clicking on the Blue Apple > About this mac.

5. discocaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, when i click Verify Disk and Repair Disk, they both state that it's passed verification...

Verifying volume “test2”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume test2 appears to be OK.

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume passed verification

Verify and Repair disk “test2”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume test2 appears to be OK.

1 HFS volume checked
    No repairs were necessary

However the two icons next to it, 'Verify Disk Permissions' and 'Repair Disk Permissions' are greyed out and unselectable. I have no idea if i'm doing the right thing here?

Edit - Version 10.4.9

6. Avaritia macrumors newbie

Oh, I guess I didn't mention it. When you select a drive from the left hand column in Disk First aid, choose Macintosh HD

You should see something like

WDSYTS120; That's your HDD (Note: That's not the actual name just an example). Then below it and indented you should see Macintosh HD, select that and the repair permissions should be selectable.

If you find nothing wrong with the permissions, do a safe boot by holding down the shift key while starting up the computer (Let go of it when you see the Grey Apple). And then download this and install it- or try to.

7. discocaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, i clicked repair for the Macintosh HD.

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
    User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS, should be 0, owner is 501
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS
    User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources, should be 0, owner is 501
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources
    User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents, should be 0, owner is 501
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents
    User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin, should be 0, owner is 501
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin
    User differs on ./Users/Shared/SC Info, should be 0, owner is 501
    Owner and group corrected on ./Users/Shared/SC Info
    Permissions corrected on ./Users/Shared/SC Info
    Group differs on ./private/etc/authorization, should be 0, group is 80
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/etc/authorization
    Permissions corrected on ./private/etc/authorization
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
    Group differs on ./usr/bin/vmmap, should be 8, group is 9
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/bin/vmmap
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/bin/vmmap

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Is this right? Should i restart in safe mode?

8. Avaritia macrumors newbie

Nah not yet, repair the permissions one more time and then restart the computer. After the restart try and mount a .dmg file, if you still get the same error then boot into safe mode.

Also, be sure you can connect to the internet directly, as AirPort is disabled in safe mode.

9. discocaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

I repaired and it stated that. Going to restart.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

11. discocaine thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Avaritia macrumors newbie

13. discocaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeeeeeeeees

It Worked

Thankgod, Thankgod, Thankyou Both For Your Help. Wooooo I Can Finally Install Crap Again. Haha