Help with installing drivers and running games in XP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Karidian, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Karidian macrumors newbie

I run parallels with XP and I have a 15" Macbook Pro with an 8600M GT graphics card.

I've tried installing drivers from NVidia's website and I get the typical error message that states:

"The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

How do I fix this? I try to run games and it says I need to update my drivers.

2. BlueArctos macrumors member

Parallels does not support anything above Direct X 8.1. What game are you trying to play?

If you're legitimately trying to game on that machine, you should probably load bootcamp.

3. dfyoung macrumors newbie

Hi Karidian,
    I was in almost the same boat as you. I had installed the Parallels 3 latest build on my wife's Mac Book Pro (8600m GT, 2.2GH core 2 duo, 2GB RAM) but with Windows 2000 instead of XP. And I was also having driver issues. I posted my problem at the Parallels forums and got the answer I needed at http://forum.parallels.com/thread14637.html. You need to install the Parallels Tools first and then simply update the display settings from within XP. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you about using the most up-to-date Nvidia XP drivers for gaming. The resolution using the Parallels driver is WAAAAAAY better than no driver at all, though.
    Thanks,
    David