Help with installing windows via bootcamp on nMP please

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Stageshoot, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Stageshoot macrumors regular

Stageshoot

Ok I am tearing my hair out with this one have been at it all day

Have win8 install ISO downloaded direct from Microsoft, copied the ISO over onto nMP use the bootcamp utility to create a USB stick with win8 and utilities on it

Install goes fine right up-to the end after installing updates where it says getting finished and I get a pop up box with the following message

Windows could not update the computers boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed

When I reboot it goes to a blue screen with Recovery your PC needs to be repaired, the boot configuration file is missing some required information file:\BCD error code 0xc000034

After that I have to reboot via cmd r and delete the bootcamp partition.

Am absolutely stuck with this, apple support just suggested redownloading the ISO which I have done and doing a cmd r reinstall to factory and try again

Done all those and no further forward but 8 hours have passed

Any help with this would be really appreciated

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Did Bootcamp restart in to the Windows installer or did you intervene and select EFI boot option?

3. Stageshoot thread starter macrumors regular

Stageshoot

Bootcamp restarted automatically into the widows installer, normal windows install setup all the way through till the problem at the end

Installed many times on iMac before and never had anytihng like this!!!

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I might be wrong but it sounds to me like it's trying to do an EFI installation of Windows.
    Which model/year of Mac is this please?

5. Stageshoot thread starter macrumors regular

Stageshoot

its the New 6.1 Mac Pro

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Thanks. So you're already past the partitioning stage of the process.
    Can you please give the output of the following terminal command?
    sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

(That's assuming you have only one hard drive).

7. Stageshoot thread starter macrumors regular

Stageshoot

Yes it partitions and then gives the normal 4 locations to install, format partion 4 and install windows it goes through the entire install before it crashes with the message at the end

Will come back in an hour or so with the result of the SUDO cmd, I am just istalling some items from a TM Backup as the apple rep had me reset and delete the hard drive back to factory standard. so now need to get all my stuff back on it again!!!

8. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I have to go out around 6-30 so I may not see it till later.

9. Stageshoot thread starter macrumors regular

Stageshoot

The cmd provided the response

Disk: /dev/disk0 geometry: 60821/255/63 [977105060 sectors]
    Signature: 0xAA55
    Starting Ending
    #: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 977105059] <Unknown ID>
    2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
    3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
    4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

10. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That output (after Bootcamp created a Windows drive) indicates that Bootcamp has not created a hybrid MBR and therefore is trying to install Windows in EFI mode.
    That's interesting. It's something I've seen recently on late model Macs.

There are ways round your problem but they involve extra work, which, you might say should not be necessary. I would phone Applecare and see what they say.

It seems from my (and others) experiments with EFI installations that Windows 8 can have problems mounting the EFI partition, which is the place where Windows boot files are placed. Hence the error message.

Some have had results by assigning a "drive" letter to their EFI partition from within the Windows installer (via diskpart). This may enable the Windows installer to mount it, but that's largely guess work. This process is somewhat involved and as I said shouldn't really be necessary in a Bootcamp installation.

----------

I'm wondering whether Bootcamp Assistant created your USB or not.
    If not, create another with BA and try again, maybe.

11. Stageshoot thread starter macrumors regular

Stageshoot

Well been at it best part of 12 hours now

2 hours on phone to apple and still no closer to a solution

The install stick I am using is fine as I tried it on my daughters iMac and it installed no problem

Apple seems stumped and although a system dump has been sent to them for investigation the onLy advice they could offer is RMA it and await a replacement

Not really an option with the current wait times

Will have another look tomorrow with fresh eyes, and if no solution it will have to be the ultimate indignity of a return to apple apple and I will source a windows workstation instead.

12. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Strange as this may sound I would prefer to have your hardware rather than my own mid 2012 rMBP as I tried like hell to get a working EFI install of Windows but in the end the only way I could get sound and graphics working properly was to install in CSM (bios) mode :roll eyes:
    It's a shame to have to send it back but you shouldn't be having these problems installing Windows in Bootcamp. It's easily solvable but they just haven't bothered.