Help with intel imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by john1961, Jun 18, 2009.

1. john1961 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a major problem. Windows XP was started to be installed on a new iMac not using boot camp, this was a school teacher. The xp cd got stuck in the dvd drive. I had to pull the computer apart and remove the cd manually. Now I need to reinstall 10.5 whatever I do I cannot get it to boot from the mac cd.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you tried hooking it up to another Mac through target disc mode?

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

How was the teacher trying to install Windows? Through Parallels or something? What went wrong? What is the computer doing when you try to boot from the DVD?

Not sure how a botched Parallels install could have messed up the Boot drive. Just tell us everything you know cause I am a little confused on what could have gone wrong... not to mention why you had to pull the computer apart.

That right there has me worried that it just wasn't put back together correctly.

4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Either the drive is broken or a cabling issue. As another poster said, target disk mode.

5. john1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

No parallels used, he just loaded it straight up from an XP Service pack 2 cd, not sure exactly what or how he got that far. I turned up at the school to install some software and was asked to fix this, my knowledge of macs are limited. All cabling is fine. It tries to boot to XP and will not accept disc one of the install disc. I downloaded all the key strokes for macs and no success there. So any advice is greatfully accepted

6. john1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

Help required

No parallels used, he just loaded it straight up from an XP Service pack 2 cd, not sure exactly what or how he got that far. I turned up at the school to install some software and was asked to fix this, my knowledge of macs are limited. All cabling is fine. It tries to boot to XP and will not accept disc one of the install disc. I downloaded all the key strokes for macs and no success there. So any advice is greatfully accepted

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What do you mean by downloading all the keystrokes?
    What happens when you start up the iMac and hold the C key to boot from the CD/DVD drive with the OSX disc inside?