Help with (internet) HD video on my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maclook, Jan 12, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

I have a black MacBook, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I just upgraded from 1gb RAM to 4. I was hoping the RAM increase would somehow allow me to play HD video smoother (though I really don't know what helps HD performance). I'm talking primarily about internet HD video. I can download HD trailers from Apple and play them perfectly in Quicktime. The problem occurs with sites such as Youtube HD, which stutters ridiculously when I try to play HD content. Gametrailers, I am able to play HD video much better but it still lags and stutters too much to consider it viewable. Like I said, I can download HD video from Gametrailers and play it fine through Quicktime. I use Firefox and Safari as my internet browsers.

I was hoping maybe there is something I can do to improve the HD video performance. It would be a shame if my MacBook just isn't suited for it...

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

may be a dumb question, but... is your internet fast enough to stream HD? are you sure the bottleneck is your computer and not your internet?

3. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Things like Youtube are poor for Macs because flash support is ****.

High-definition flash videos might be a problem due to the **** flash issues. This is why if it's downloaded, you have no issues.

4. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah i was assuming that was the reason. i actually tried gametrailers using the quicktime option and it ran really smoothly in firefox. that's a real bummer :/. youtube's HD is the worst. and yeah i got fast verizon fios so internet isnt the issue. i let the video load completely before attempting to play it too.