Help with internet providers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zachdank, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Zachdank macrumors newbie

I have had a PC my whole computer life, and just purchased a Powerbook. I was using AT&T, but they say they can't provide for Macs. What are my best options??

Thanks for the help.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Even AOL told me they couldn't provide internet (not for me, my grandad) for Macs, it will work, the support people just don't know...

3. Zachdank thread starter macrumors newbie

So are you saying AT&T will work? Sounds sketchy.
    Also i have a DSL modem through AT&T now. It says i get 10 mbs. Is that good, and what is slow or fast compared to that?
    I was looking at Comcast, but i thought it said something like 2mbs or something. Will that be ridiculously slow?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You shouldn't have any problems with AT&T DSL and your Mac. Just don't try to use the install CD that may be included in the package ...they aren't usually necessary.

And yes, 10 mbps is very fast for residential DSL. Generally, cable should be faster (I have Comcast cable quoted at 4 mbps but I've been able to get up to 8-10 mbps).

5. Zachdank thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you possibly lend some advice on how to get it going? I have my PC hooked up to a DSL modem with an ethernet cable, but when i tried to hook my Powerbook up to it, i had no luck at all.
    Sorry to sound like such a noob. I feel like a complete computer moron. Just don't even know where to begin figuring this stuff out.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When you connect your Mac (directly to the modem) via Ethernet, go to System Preferences > Network > Ethernet. What does it say for status?

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, those ATT phone reps are sketchy! :shiftyeyes:

Seriously though, I have ATT DSL, and I've never had a problem. :)
    That is very fast. Just how much is ATT charging you for that? AFAIK, the fastest DSL offered by ATT for residential customers is 6MBPS.
    Can't agree with this enough. Gave me nothing but trouble back when we first got our DSL line. Can you imagine, that, coupled with a Windows ME computer?:eek:

Since EricNau already got you started, I'll make a side comment: invest in a router. With a notebook, and by the sounds of it a second computer, a router is your friend. That's part of the joys of owning a notebook. :)

8. Zachdank thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but when i hover over the DSL icon at the bottom, it says speed 10.0 MBS. I pay $50 a month to AT&T for my phone and internet.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There's one way to be sure. Go here: http://www.speedtest.net/

However, since it sounds like you've bought the high end DSL, it's likely to be 6MBPS minimum and up to 10 MBPS. In which case, for god's sake, get that router and start enjoying the interwebs!:p:D

10. Zachdank thread starter macrumors newbie

It Said 1311 kb/s and 322 kb/s. Doesn't sound good.
    What is a router?

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmm...that sounds like the very basic rate that ATT offers. You should contact ATT about that if you're paying for the higher level plan.
    It takes the ethernet line and broadcasts it via radio wave so your computer doesn't need to be "wired" to the internet (hence the word "wireless" ;)). You can find one at a lot of electronics stores.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Personally I have used both AT&T and Comcast and I like Comcast because it's much faster since it's a cable modem system vs. AT&T's DSL.

I find it very odd that the person the OP spoke to from AT&T said that they don't support Macs. The internet is not a PC thing, any computer with ethernet or a dialup modem will connect to the web.
    The thing about Macs is they don't require the stupid software that some PC's do to speak to the internet provider, it's just a plug and play.

When I signed up with Comcast they came to my house and spent over an hour trying to get their system set up to work with my Mac. After an hour they gave up and called their office and their office told them that Macs don't require the complicated PC set up and to just plug it in and it will work. They did so and I was on the internet 2 minutes after they got off the phone.
    The service man said they are used to spending at least 45 minutes setting up Windows machines to work with their system, they never expected it to be this easy on the Macintosh.

13. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I get 1676/408. Not all areas support the 6 Mbs speeds. I've been using ATT (formerly SBC) DSL for years with Windows, Linux, Macs, iPhone, etc. Currently I have an Apple Airport Extreme connected to my DSL router and everything else connects to the Airport Extreme.

AT&T has actually been very reliable over the years. I rarely get dropped connections. Even though cable is faster I refuse to become a Charter customer.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I get that too (or close to it) but I'm only on the very basic package ($15 or something). The OP seems to be paying for the premium package, which means that ATT is over charging him and not delivering the service it should.

However, I do agree that ATT has fairly reliable service. And the speed is good enough for me (I don't download too much), so there's no sense in paying Comcast twice as much.

15. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

This is interesting. I'm going through old junk to pitch, and found a starter kit from my ATT DSL service (it was still SBC then) and it includes a "Quick Start Guide - Macintosh Edition." This is from 2003 and covers both Classic and OS X.