Help with Internet speed for PPC Macs setup?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Sep 5, 2013.

1. RedCroissant, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all,

I have noticed lately that my DL/UL speeds are not what they should be and was just looking for some clarification as to why.

My main machine is PowerMac G5 quad connected to my network via WiFi and I have a consistent DL speed of 7Mbps and an UL speed of ~5 Mbps.

I have a Zoom modem and the Apple EBS. My wife's iMac (Late 2009 21.5") , which is also connected to the network via WiFi, gets consistent speeds of 20+DL and 15+UL.

Is this difference simply due to the fact that her computer is using 802.11n and I am limited to 802.11 b/g (via installed airport extreme card), or is there a configuration that I should be using that would increase my speeds?

I'm also on a super budget so upgrading components is not an option. So if I am stuck with these speeds due to hardware limitations, then I will accept that; even if I don't like it.

Thanks everyone in advance for your time and advice.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would imagine that it is in fact your airport card. The best I can do with my two PowerBooks on my home WiFi is 3-5mb down. That's with a large consistent download. Most times I'm doing half of that. And I have Cox's Ultimate Package (50mbps).

My G5 is hooked up directly via Ethernet (doesn't have an Airport Extreme card) and the best I have gotten even then is 27mb down. That's most likely because it's hooked up to sucky cable outlet though. Had a booster there once but it failed.

In any case that's what I would put your problem down to.

I'm not familiar with the Zoom modem. Are you on Cox?

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Hey E!

I was hoping that you would have said something else!!!! I didn't want it to have to be the hardware because the only way now to get faster speeds is to either connect it via ethernet(which is more than 10ft away) or to get an external WiFi device that provides for a faster connection(which I definitely do not have money for).

Well the Zoom modem I have now is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that "should" provide higher speeds and my wife's iMac is rocking the net, but my Pm G5 is not. I really don't like the way that you asked that question because it forces me to answer it in a different way. :) Yes, I have subscribed to Cox internet services. :)

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

Run a cable to the G5 and the modem. Test and you'll have your answer. But given that your wife is running fast, it's got to be the Airport card. I hear you about running cable though. I've got a 100' cable that runs from my switch to my garage where I have a 24 port hub hooked up. That's so my OS9 Macs that are out there can ride the network. I staple-gunned the entire route along the ceiling all the way down the hall. The toughest part was pulling up the threshold plate at the garage door and getting the cable squished in there.

Of course, it could always be the modem too. If you test and it's still slow that's probably the case. Hopefully not. PM me if you need a modem or cable. I've got a Linksys hanging around. It's only DOCSIS 2, but it works. I replaced it with another Linksys (DOCSIS 3.0) when we went up to the Ultimate tier.

5. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I will do that but the other problem with running cable is that I live in an apartment and I have three BOUS under the age of 5. That of course means that something is going to be utterly destroyed. I know that sounds dramatic but if only people would let me design apartment complexes, then rearranging furniture to access the internet wouldn't be such a hassle! As it stands now I have one cable jack in each major room, and the phone jack is nowhere near that(again, I didn't design it). I would just build an apt complex and then prewire it with CAT 5 throughout the walls so it's just plug and go.

The modem I replaced the Zoom with is still working(A Linksys) very well but since my wife's iMac connects more than well enough, then I would assume the modem is fine. : |

And yes, when I'm frustrated, my emoticons do not have noses.

And in case you were wondering, we're on the Preferred(I think) plan that is supposed to be up to 25Mbps.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Is your wife's iMac closer to your G5 than the modem? I can't of course visualize your setup because I've never been there. The reason I ask is that if her Mac is close to the G5 could you get away with running a cable to her iMac? You could share her internet connection if this is the case.

Do you have a router? I know you mentioned an EBS. Is that the router? Again I ask because maybe there's some way to shorten the cable distance to keep things out of the way?

No, I wasn't wondering about your plan, I just mentioned mine as a matter of factual info. I wasn't trying to brag or anything so I hope that's not the way it's been perceived. We were on the Preferred tier for the last 2.5 years, only now were we able to upgrade since work let us go back to 40 hours/week.

7. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I will be building a setup that sends an Ethernet cable through from the PC gaming, router, modem, switch, server, Bitcoin ASIC cave by having a wire taped to the ceiling, going through the hallway to make a stop at a splitter in the kitchen and then going through the dining room to the roku.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How is this relevant to the OP's thread?

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

In my end here, I have a slow internet connection to 120kBps on my powerpc macs on 802.11g stable, but on much modern intel macs with 802.11n, I got 240kBps connected to either an Airport Express or a chinese crap TP-Link router. So I would think that it would be just normal for an n to be cut in half if you are using an old airport extreme g.

10. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Ok, pretend that you're my router(The AEBS). Now to your 10 o'clock about 13 feet away is my PM G5 setup(still in the living room where the dining area is supposed to be). There is also nothing in the way at all between them. Behind the wall where my PM G5 is(still at your 10 o'clock position), is the master bedroom where my wife's imac is located. So technically, yes; my wife's iMac is closer. But because I can't drill holes in these walls without incurring the wrath of the lazy leasing staff here, connecting them to share the connection isn't an option.

And no it didn't come across as though you were bragging at all. I only responded because I wanted to let you know that my hopes/expectations of my internet performance were reasonable considering the plan I signed up for.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK. Got it.

I understand the landlord problem too. We also rent, so there's a lot we can't do either. I don't know what else to suggest.

12. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

That's good to know and more motivating to have a setup that utilizes the ethernet connection instead of WiFi.

13. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Well what you suggested was great and the info you gave me at least on the potential speed that I could see when connected via ethernet was enough to get me to reconsider my setup. I really just wish that architects and/or property builders and managers would reconsider they way in which they build apartments. If I were in charge, I would of course as previously mentioned run ethernet throughout to give the tenants better choices. I would also make sure that the communication ports are placed on the same wall and in proximity to each other so that technology could be better utilized. To me it's simple:

phone jack | COAX | ethernet

And have a set of these on each wall of the rooms that are optimal for using these devices. Anyway, I will eventually connect it via ethernet.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can agree. If it were up to me, I'd do this also. Unfortunately, a lot of places were built either before broadband or dialup or management just never considered it.

The house we live in was built in the early 90s. Cable was king then, so of course there are cable outlets – and phone outlets because dialup was the norm then.

I did once have the priviledge when i worked for a major newspaper to watch our IT department transform an old building into a connected network. Ethernet jacks on just about every wall. Made sense to me then too.

15. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

The apt I lived in before this one only had 1(yes, 1) coax and it was right next to the front door. This made it so that I had to block it off from my kids, snake it under the carpet by the patio door, and then route it up and around the fireplace before connecting it to my TV. And the phone jacks were in their original spots as well(at eye level for a wall phone).

What's making the attempted use of that technology more annoying is that it's now more expensive to have a basic landline than it is to have a digital phone.

I would love to have a super-connected home. I would design the walls to have special compartments for the hardware(with proper ventilation of course) so that wires did not have to be seen but could still be easily accessed.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

We've got a front door coat closet that's located 20 feet from the front door! The structure of the house means that any wires coming out of there would be completely visble.

Still, since we moved in I've fancied using it as a server closet. Unfortunately, because you'd see wires coming out of it I know that to even suggest this to my wife would get it shot down right away. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, we found out that Cox won't touch any cable that runs across a doorway. We had a cable running from the box in the front room, around the front room crossing the front door threshold once. Needed Cox maintenance and the tech promptly told us he couldn't touch the cable because it ran across the front door base plate. Odd!

17. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

That's too bad about the location of the would-be server closet! But couldn't you just use some cable management plastic covers that screw into the wall alongside the door frame(or does it not have one) and along the baseboard? If you're handy, you could probably get some older pieces of wood and make new baseboards that are specifically designed for cable management and then VOILA!!!!! you have you server closet!

Cox sucks. I know that phrase is usually reversed and is normally an imperative instead of a frustrated exclamation, but I think you understand where I'm going with this. I also don't like their policies about paying for more than one IP address(if I wanted to use another modem dedicated for my machine) especially if the wireless router distributes a range of IP addresses that essentially does the same thing.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, the problem is that the front room, dining room and kitchen are all one large area separated by a wall with an arch (so you can get from the front room to the dining room). The top of the wall is an Arizona dust catcher (shelf on top of the wall) that runs the full length of the wall because the ceiling in the entire area is vaulted (i.e., it's not horizontal).

So the closet is actually past the front room and in between the dining room and the kitchen. Any wires I lay out, including cords for power would have to enter either through the door or one of the walls. I could probably get away with running it out through the top (where the shelf is) but the closet is dead in the middle of the space.

If I really wanted to I could probably work it, but the effort involved is just not justified yet. My network setup too has so far negated the need for a server. That may change soon though, we'll see.

I didn't realize that Cox had a policy on IPs. I know you have to buy their business package if you want a static IP though. Which I am unwilling to do.

19. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Does the closet have a ceiling or does it go as high as the rest of the place? If it doesn't have a ceiling(or if it's easily cut through, then that would make it easier to reach the shelf and run it that way. If you ever decide to do it, I would be happy to help because I think that stuff is kinda fun.

Yeah, I was hoping to reorganize so that I could have the PM connected directly to my extra modem, but that would require me to have 2 accounts(LAME). I really should be in charge.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, it's got a ceiling, the top of which is part of the shelf that's on top of the wall.

Sure, I like doing this stuff too, so I'll contact you if I ever do it.

So you are just wanting to dedicate one modem to the PM and another to the rest of your devices?

The only advantage I can see in that would be just a network dedicated to one computer. You'd have to bridge or something somehow to see the rest of your devices. Unless you're just meaning that you want to assign a static IP address to the G5?

21. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Well then that's actually a good thing because that would make it much easier to hide the cables.

Great!

Well I wanted to shift the main internet to my PM so that my setup would be the hub and that I would get much better speeds being connected by ethernet. That's my main motivation and hadn't really thought out the rest. I think what I'll have to do is pick a new place that I have more options for setup so that I can maximize internet speed for each device.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know if this will help you, but here's my setup.

Modem>Wired Router (this gives me my NAT/Firewall)>24 port switch>Wireless Router (set in non-router mode with an IP address outside of my wired router LAN address range).

The hub in the garage and my Airave (for cell connections) connect directly to the switch. The wireless router controls access to the WiFi. I have my network set up to assign static IPs to all connected devices in a certain range and the wireless router is set to allow only the MAC addresses of specific wireless devices.

So should anyone break the extremely long multi-digit key/password and get in they get assigned a dynamic address which immediately cuts them off from the network and allows me to identify who's riding on my network.

Of course, if anyone can break the key and get in they'll be smart enough to spoof a MAC address anyway, but I do what I can. :D

23. MrPilot macrumors 6502

7Mbps is nothing while 7MBps is close to 100Mbit line... which is it?
    MB = Megabyte
    Mb= Megabit

and it seems you are already in good in hands here :)

24. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I wouldn't say that 7Mbps second is nothing, but I would say that I would prefer a faster connection. And no, if I was getting 7MBps, I think I would have been bragging about this way earlier to everyone.

25. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I would take your connection in a heartbeat! I have 20down, 2up.
    I have no use for download speed, I can wait 20 minutes for a file to download… I use upload for everything.