help with iphone 2G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by leftkidney, Jul 9, 2011.

1. leftkidney macrumors member

so I have a iphone 2G 8gb version

its already jb/unlocked and has 3.1.3 (7E18) - Modem Firmware 04.05.04_G

I am pretty sure I want to stay at 3.1.3 since its a 2G but were there any improvements because my 3G sucks with os4

but this hasnent been updated since 3.1.3 came out and I jb/unlocked it then so that was like a year ago or more I think - what do I have to do to get cydia up to date and is there anything else I should be doing

the phone works now on tmobile and att, I want to keep it that way

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree, but isn't what he has the highest you can go on that phone since it's a 2g?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think so. I know even for a 3G 3.1.3 is the highest recommended 4.0 is ungodly slow.

5. james92se macrumors 6502a

You are "topped out" with your original iPhone in terms of firmware. You have no option but to stay at 3.1.3 so worrying about updating it is moot.

What do you mean what do you have to do to get Cydia up to date? You go to Cydia and update it :confused:

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can't update your firmware, and Cydia updates automatically when you open it. If for some reason it doesn't, click on the "Changes" button down at the bottom.

7. leftkidney thread starter macrumors member

yea I am going to stay at 3.1.3 even if there was a working 4 out there - I remember when I did this that it was the last 3.1.3 there was before 4 came out

first I need to erase everything on it not downloaded from cydia - all pictures and contacts and logs and stuff - I also need to change the name of it

can I be using the latest version of itunes or should I keep at version 9 that I have now and have been denying updates for about a year almost because I was worried that there could be a problem because I have a 3g also

but in cydia I get messages about host not reachable and stuff like that sometimes - is the a newer version of cydia that has to be installed by the computer not by cydia it self?