Help with iPhone 3.1.3 tethering?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Iphoneprblms, May 9, 2010.

1. Iphoneprblms macrumors newbie

Hello :)
    my iPhone had problems & it was & is not jailbroken
    -I took it to the apple store and had it rebooted
    -it was updated to 3.1.3 ( I had tethering working perfectly before it was updated to 3.1.3)
    -now tethering option is gone and I am unable to get it to work off of benm

---I would now LOVE to know how I can get my tethering back without having to pay money and preferably not have to jailbreak it

respond soon :)

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. Iphoneprblms thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard that you can't jb 3.1.3 is that true?

4. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Yes you can now JB 3.1.3 using spirit.

5. Iphoneprblms thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not wish to jailbreak my iPhone someone needs to find a way like benm and appleguru did so that it is just that easy

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not as simple any more since Apple patched the hole that BenM and other online APN configurations worked.
    The only way to accomplish it now is to JB.

7. Satan Himself macrumors newbie

OK, so assume I've jailbroken 3.1.3 using Spirit. Now what? Google is just turning up a bunch of junk blogs regurgitating the same thing, all written by the same incoherent moron in the first place.

I'm scouring search here right now, and will edit/update this post if I find what I'm looking for.

EDIT: So far all I've found is to install MyFi, which will work. However I'm referring to the "natural" method of Bluetooth and USB tethering available in 3.1.2 via the benm.at/APN loophole. I'm looking for a similar hack, if just for simple fear of destroying my battery running MyFi.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can install the tethering hack for native tethering from this following repo on cydia:
    www.sinfuliphonerepo.com/

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That doesn’t work for 3.1.3 though, unless I’m mistaken.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

mywi enables native tethering

op its a jb who cares?

11. idevices macrumors newbie

I have no luck in getting tethering working without using third party app like mywi. I just jb my 3.1.3 firmware with spirit and want to enable tethering like what OP wants. I have googled for several hours already and tried the following ways I can find, but ALL failed:

commcenter method
    APN help.benm.at

Any advise?

Thanks in advance!!!!

12. pamon macrumors 6502

just go into cydia and search for tether. there's one there. :)

13. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Why even use spirit? It seems like more people run into problems with Spirit than with Pwnage tool. That is how I JB my 3G 3.1.3 and it works great.

Pwnage JB Tutorial on iClarified for 3G 3.1.3 using Pwnage Tool

14. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

because some people want to JB the 3Gs' and/or new bootrom devices, not just 3G iphones.

15. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Sure, that makes sense, I meant it more along the lines of just a plain ol' 3G phone is all. Plus I guess not everyone has a Mac.

16. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

sure, that would make sense if the OP (or anyone in this thread) had mentioned using a plain ol' 3G.
    And what does having a mac have to do with using redsn0w or spirit?

17. Phelps81 macrumors member

Pretty sure no one NEEDS to do anything for you. If you're not willing to jailbreak then that's your fault. Jailbreaking IS that easy. All you have to do is downloadc spirit, plug in your phone, hit one button and it's done in less than a minute.

You're mistaken. The tethering setting from SinfulIphoneRepo works perfectly as well as MyWi for me.

18. scottuf macrumors 6502

been using my JB 3Gs w/3.1.2 using the commcenter method and modified IPCC method for a while now. now my friend just got a new 3Gs with 3.1.3 pre-installed, so will be JB w/Spirit for her this weekend. In learning of the new processes for 3.1.3 found out commcenter patch doesn't work, so got to this thread (amongst others). Anyways, saw a few different tethering options in Sinfuliphone. Can you post the title of the one you got to work with 3.1.3? I see one there that says 3.1.2.

Don't want to install MyWi if I don't need to.

Thanks.

19. Zell84 macrumors member

Again, the only way to tether on a 3GS with 3.1.3 on AT&T's network is to JB with Spirit, and download MyWi. As of right now anyway.

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

21. Tense macrumors newbie

Just saying. All you have to do is install the MiWi trial. Enable Tethering and then it will be working from Settings.. You can uninstall MiWi trial afterwards.

Not that it's not worth it. But, if you just wanted the "classic" fix. That is it.

22. doublenickle macrumors newbie

Tethering a 3G using 3.1.3

I lost my tethering when I upgraded to 3.1.3 on my ATT 3G IPhone. I have read many of the threads here and I need some clarification on the steps to reactivate tethering on this version of 3.1.3. Does the IPhone first need to be JB? if so what is the safes way to do that and then what steps do I need to follow to initiate tethering?