Help with Iphone 4 Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sleepyfoo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Sleepyfoo macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a quick question on the Iphone 4 Camera. I helped do a stop-motion animation for a music video using Itimelapse on the iphone.

This is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMF76OKUtg

My question was do you guys know a way to keep the Iphone from reassessing the light? I ended up having to go through each (of over 2500) pictures and adjust the exposure and temp/tint in lightroom before putting them into FCPX.

The phone would constantly switch the amount of exposure and it would also pretty strongly affect the colour (the really annoying part). We had a stable set up for light that should have kept everything constant. I've gotten asked to do another one and I'm really thrown on whether I can use the phone again - if someone knows how to manually set any of these camera issues please let me know!

2. julesw macrumors member

julesw

Not sure if this is what you mean, but have a look at the app called 'Almost DSLR'

3. vanforum macrumors newbie

4. genshi, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Unfortunately, it is [partially] up to the app maker.

I do a lot of movies and time-lapse stuff on the iPhone. Most of the movie app makers (FiLMiC Pro and Almost DSLR) have added the ability to lock focus, exposure and white balance, but for some reason, none of the Time-Lapse apps have added this. It may be difficult for them because with the time-lapse apps you are taking individual photos and with each photo the camera is reassessing those values, but with video, once the exposure is set, it's set.

You may want to try FiLMiC Pro which allows you to shoot at very low frame rates to kind of simulate time-lapse... Another app to try is iLapse (from the makers of iSupr8; my favorite vintage movie app) which allows you to lock tone and exposure. The reason it works for them is because I don't think they are taking single stills like most time-lapse apps, they are using the video mode to simulate time-lapse/stop-motion. But the results are pretty good.

EDIT: After seeing your video, I see you are definitely doing/needing a Stop Motion app, not a Time-Lapse app, so you may want to check out iMotion HD. I have it, but haven't used it yet so not sure if you can lock exposure, etc., but it is supposedly better than other dedicated Stop Motion apps out there (I have a couple of other ones that are kinda crap; only let you shoot in portrait mode, etc.)

5. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    I hope I'm not mistaken.. I could be...

But I know that in the video mode you can tap and hold a spot and it will lock the exposure from the camera application... not sure if it will do it for photos or not. It's worth a try if that's what you're trying to solve.

6. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

The problem usually in doing Stop-Motion animation is that you are taking 100 to 1000 still shots in one session, so each time you make the next shot, it readjusts your exposure and focus...

Luckily, I have now thoroughly tested iMotion HD and they do have an option to lock both exposure and focus, so this is definitely the ideal app to use. I am doing my first stop-motion short film for a couple of film festivals; half way through production now and the app is working like a charm! (and I have lots of tricky lighting going on, so locking exposure was imperative for me.)