Help With Iphone 4 SHSH Blob

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Haines, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Haines macrumors newbie

I was on Cydia and noticed a notification about saving a SHSH blob on 4.3.1 what does this mean I already jailbroke 4.3.1 and didn't do this SHSH blob thing so does that mean I can never restore my iPhone again please help I don't understand this! I already have 4.3.1 firmware straight from Apples update servers stored on my computer because I was using 4.3.1 on my iPhone unjailbroken I don't know if this matters but I was just throwing it out there please help!

P.S. I don't have 4.3.2 on my computer!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should have done it and clicked yes.
    It can only help in case you need to restore to 4.3.2 again or older firmware that Apple is not signing any more.
    You can download and run Tinyumbrella to do this even if you clicked "no" on cydia.

3. Haines thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright

Ok, so I don't plan on restoring back to 4.3.1 I only plan on upgrading to a major
    IOS release e.g. IOS 5 and then doing a jailbreak when that firmware is released
    and the jailbreak for it so do I need to do anything. When you said I should have
    clicked yes it wasn't a notification it just said click here in a red box and took me
    to a blog informing me of the issue.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but if something goes wrong with your JB for example and you need to restore to the same version cause the latest firmware out is not JB yet then you're stuck.
    Up to you.

5. Haines thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, the restore won't work even if I have restored my iPhone when it wasn't jailbroken using the 4.3.1 firmware from Apple's servers. Since I have the firmware from Apples servers on my computer doesn't that mean I can restore my jailbroken iPhone just like I did when it wasn't jailbroken?

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can't go back to anything lower than the current ios without blobs. It doesn't matter if you have the ipsw. If you don't have the blobs, you can't re-install 4.3.1. :rolleyes:

7. Haines, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Haines thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so what your saying is I can't restore to 4.3.1. So what if I don't want the jailbreak anymore and just want regular IOS such as 4.3.2 and say when IOS 5 comes out with a jailbreak what would I have to do to get IOS 5 when I'm on a jailbroken 4.3.1 iPhone?

P.S. What if I just want to restore my iPhone and don't care about being upgraded to the higher IOS do I still need these "SHSH Blobs" now if this is true when I plug my Iphone (jailbroken) into Itunes and click Restore will this automatically make you upgrade your IOS if a new one is released when your jailbroken iPhone is on a lower IOS Version?

8. Haines thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm Confused

So I have done some research online and have read that you only need SHSH Blobs if you want to restore and stay at the same IOS when a newer one is out.
    So say if I want to restore my iPhone when it is on 4.3.1 do I need SHSH Blobs if I don't care about it updating me to 4.3.2 and say If this is all true what do I have to do for it to restore to 4.3.2 do I just click restore in Itunes or will I have to download the update and let it be extracted into the iPhone?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can always go back to the latest stock firmware that is out with iTunes.
    You just need shsh blobs when restoring to older firmware versions.

10. Haines thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh, ok thanks man all is understood SHSH Blobs are pointless for me if they're only used for downgrading and using older versions then the newest released IOS firmware. That being said one last question just to verify and be safe I don't need to save my SHSH Blobs if I only plan on upgrading to Apples newest released IOSES and then jailbreaking them when the jailbreak is available?

11. Haines thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks Applejuiced, Eastercat, and Oakie for your awesome help much appreciated!