Help with iphone passcode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by moonrmr, Jul 13, 2012.

1. moonrmr macrumors newbie

I gave my old 3gs to my 12 yr old son and his uncle restored it and put music and games on it. My son put a passcode on it and forgot it. He's devastated. Is there anyway we can get past the passcode and set a new one (that he'll remember) Lol ?

2. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

You will have to connect it to the machine that put the items on the phone, the only other way is to completely restore the iphone to factory settings, in sense deleting all the content and starting fresh

3. moonrmr thread starter macrumors newbie

son's iphone

When I plug it into itunes it asks for the passcode.

4. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

5. moonrmr thread starter macrumors newbie

help

The only problem is that I bought the phone used and I never could get it to turn off.:confused:

6. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

So ontop of the passcode problem .. you have a non working power/sleep wake button as well?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Take it in to Apple and ask them to restore it and or repair it. All your apps will still be yours under that phones iTunes account.

There's no way to unlock the phone without the passcode.

8. moonrmr thread starter macrumors newbie

yep

It's never been able to be turned off, which wasn't really a problem till now.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

In the end the pass code exists to protect the phone and data.

Let's hope it's remembered.

10. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

If your power/sleepwake button worked you could do this without having to take it to apple. But being that it doesnt, I would assume you dont have much choice. You could try fixing it yourself, ie: replace the faulty button and then restore but I dont know if your comfortable doing so.

11. moonrmr thread starter macrumors newbie

He's 12, we're lucky he remembers to brush his teeth, LOL. I guess I'll have to take it to apple unless anyone else has any ideas:(

12. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Correct me if I am wrong, but after so many incorrect tries doesnt the phone require one to hook up to itunes?

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'm not sure.

You can set up the security feature to auto wipe the iPhone after 10 failed tries !

14. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Ahh ok I have only experienced this with a 2nd gen iPod Touch that required to be hooked up to itunes after too many incorrect pass code attempts. I guess I assumed the iPhone worked the same.

15. moonrmr thread starter macrumors newbie

He kept trying different passcodes until the screen said Iphone is disabled connect to itunes. Maybe if I have his uncle hook it up to the computer he used to put the music and games on there it would work??