help with iphone - possible water damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by coupey, Sep 23, 2010.

1. coupey macrumors regular

just got back from local buffalo wild wings and the idiot waitress spilled my full 22oz beer on top of my iphone that was sitting on the table. she didnt even apologize. anyway i cut it off instantly while i was drying it off. turned it back on and everything was working fine, that i noticed. well now im home and was wondering why my phone wasnt making any noise when i got a text and i missed a call but didnt hear it. well its stuck in headphone mode now. i blew in the headphone jack for 15 mins and sound finally started working again. i blew in it again just to make sure that it was good to go and it now back in headphone mode. i dont want to have to replace it because ill lose my jailbreak but also dont want a broken phone. what would you do? call and talk to a manager? just keep blowing and hope it fixes? slit wrist? :(

2. mikemanblah macrumors regular

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're probably hosed since you've been using it, but power down and leave it in some rice for a few days. Also (I do this, so I'm not just giving you ****) you have only yourself to blame if you leave your phone on the table and something gets spilled on it, especially at a bar.

4. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would turn it off now, and place it in a bag of dry rice for at least a day. If it is OK when you turn it back on, ya got lucky. If not, you are looking at a refurbished unit replacement cost of $199.99 from Apple.

5. coupey thread starter macrumors regular

understandable but i wasnt at the bar i was at a table. the sound has fortunately started working again.

6. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I would have never left a restaurant where a waitress had spilled a liquid of any type on my phone without first calling over a manager! Even if you had the phone sitting on the table I would think it'd fall under the restaurants liability. For example, a year or so back my helper dropped a drill off a ladder and it landed on the customers laptop. Well, needless to say the company I work for had to bite the bullet and take care of it! So, I believe you're situation is very similar.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should have made the waitress or the place pay for the $199 that is going to cost you to replace it.

8. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

If it were me (other than making them pay to replace the phone) I would open the phone and rinse it with a spray of distilled water where the beer was (after making sure it was turned off.

It would dry much faster and more completely that way.