Help with iPhoto please!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MandaS, Nov 12, 2011.

1. MandaS macrumors newbie

I bought a new terabyte hard drive that is compatible with my mac. I need to move my iPhotos onto it how in the heck can I do this? I have no space and my comp won't hardly even let me surf the web and I have excel presentations to do. Someone please explain to me in plain English please lol how to move these god forsaken Photos! Lol

2. MandaS thread starter macrumors newbie

Please guys anyone with any advice?

----------

I'm a stay at home mom attending college I really don't have time to sift through research on this. Any help would be a god send. If I don't get any answers I'm just going to have to suck it up and take it to apple store.

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Plug in your external hard drive. It should auto mount and place an icon for it on your desktop. Hit Command + N, a new window will pop up. Find the location of your photos in that window. Click (and hold down) on the folder your photos are in and drag it to the icon of your external drive. That should only copy the photo folder to the external drive.

After it finishes, open up the external hard drive with the icon on your desktop and verify that all of your photos copied over. After you verified your photos are all there, click on (and hold down) your first photo directory and drag it to the Trash. Then empty the Trash, you should be good after that.

Good luck. :)

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

There is a 'file' in /Users/<Your Name>/Pictures/ named iPhoto Library.

It's really a directory that contains all of your photos and the database structure that iPhoto uses to organize them.

Move that 'file' to your external hard drive. It could take a while if you have a lot.

Then hold the option key when you launch iPhoto. It will ask you which iPhoto library to use. Browse to the external drive and select the file you moved.

Good Luck!!!