help with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by edu, Nov 26, 2007.

1. edu macrumors newbie

Hello, heres the thing, Im trying to get pictures from my photo library to the msn messenger display. It does not let me click on it, however, if I drag a Pic to the desktop and then move it to the messenger, it lets me add it to the display..

Im a new mac user, so any help would be great.

Thank you !

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having a problem.

I assume that you're an ex-Windows user. This question comes up a lot.

iPhoto handles all your pictures for you, so you don't need to know where they are or to handle them at all except through the iPhoto interface.

If you look for them, all you'll see is the library. If you need to get a particular picture out for something, you need to click on it in iPhoto and Export it. I believe it's the File menu. Export it to the desktop and then do whatever you like with it (send it to Messenger in your case I believe).

Applications such as iPhoto are designed to abstract the user from details such as where the files are stored. Once you get used to it, I think you'll find that life is so much simpler. You don't need to worry about the location of filesm you just use the interface.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

3. edu thread starter macrumors newbie

Gracias!

oh, and another thing... When I downloaded the MSN messenger from apple.com, after the install, a thing appeard on the desktop how do I get rid of it?

Thank you!

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

By 'a thing' I assume you mean a disk image? When downloading files to a Mac, they're often supplied as a disk image (a .dmg file). You open the disk image and a folder appears that contains the application you want to install. If I remember rightly MSN Messenger has an installer that you run and it installs Messenger into your Applications folder.

Once it's in there, you can drag both the folder it created which is now on your desktop and the .dmg file to the Trash.

Does this help?

Cheers.

5. edu thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I think I remember what it said... SOmething like The disk is in use and its unable to delet it or something...

6. royaletea macrumors newbie

You need to drag the application (MSN Messenger) from the disk image to your applications, once you do that, eject the disk image (drag over the trash can, or go into finder and hit the eject button next to the image), and then you can delete it.