HELP with iStat readings Alu MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VSMacOne, Nov 24, 2008.

1. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So here are my iStat readings, but I have no idea what each of those items is under Temps. I have seen other screenshots of older MB/MBP's that had different names for those items.
    Does anybody know which things in the laptop are represented under each of those temp items (i.e. airport card, etc)??? Thanks.
    I am running some Word, a couple of Safari windows, Yahoo Messenger, Entourage, and bluetooth on.

*Please post a screenshot of you iStat*

Attached Files:

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

HD vs HD ive never seen before but come on, the rest are pretty much self explanatory..
    Enclosure base in the outside of your macbook, the heat sinks are pieces of metal that are used to disperse heat.

EDIT: oh i see your HD name is VS HD.. ok

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Those temps look quite fine to me. I'd say reboot though, free up some RAM...heh

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

He's not asking if the temps are ok, he is asking what those temps are referring to

5. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Uhm... ok. Not helping much...
    Does anybody have a diagram of which is where? What is the northbridge? And why isn't the Airport showing up on there?

6. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It's running just fine, no issues there.
    And I was under the impression that OS X is better off not being restarted very often... :confused:
    -
    -
    I'm new to mac, and although I've picked up most things, there are still a few that i don't know and that bugs me :mad: :D

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Not helping much!? You asked what those things are and i told you. Your worrying about something that doesnt even matter. Your computer is running fine, enjoy it.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

9. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You told me what 2 of the things were, which is fine, but I was wondering more than anything if any of those would be the Airport, or why the items shown are different than other macs. So I guess i'm trying to find out what makes them be different and what other Alu MBs are showing...

And PLEASE don't tell me I'm worried about something just because I'm trying to learn about it, ok? If YOU don't care that's fine, but I just wanna know.

10. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I already checked all the items listed in the Temps.. That's all the options it's giving. I just want to know WHAT each of those things represents and why some MBs show Airport and others dont... No BIG deal, just something i'm curious about.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

So you want to know what each part means? I mean do you not actually know what the CPU or the northbridge or the enclosure base or heatsink are? :confused:

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

This is what im saying. Im not trying to be a jerk, but they are pretty self explanatory..

I can understand if the question was "What is the north bridge".... ever thing else is common sense

13. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really do not know how you could possibly need any more help beyond this manual that is so cleverly placed on the site you downloaded iStat from.

15. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

THANKS that's awesome.

Hmm... let me see if I can make this any clearer without actually having to draw you a picture...:p I understand all that iStat can do, I read the manual and googled the crap out of it! What I don't understand is why SOME mac show different items under iStat Temp (like a MBP which has 2 FANS, or 2 CPUs, etc) and what causes that. I've read about people reporting their Airport getting hot, and I saw it listed in some iStats, but it's not coming up in mine. And NO, there is NO box to check in the Preferences!!
    Now do you understand why the manual so CLEVERLY placed on the site does NOT help me?! :eek:

16. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Attached Files:

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yep.

It probably would have been better for you to have done your own research in this case. We can't tell you exactly what you don't know.

18. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

But there is still the issue of how iStat detects the different hardware... Anybody know how to get Airport to show up under temps? Or is that only on certain MBPs?
    Thanks.

19. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Shows up on my Blackbook and my friends new alu Macbook.

20. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I KNEW i wasn't going crazy :)
    So there are differences... I wonder what toggles them? I am running iStat pro 4.7. Are you running the same version?

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Both of us are running 4.7 and Airport temps show up on both of ours.

22. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

My Airport does NOT show up under Temperature. I am using ver. 4.7 as well, on my Al-MB.

23. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I wonder what does that....

Can you guys post some screenshots of your iStat?

24. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

All I know is my friend is here at my house visiting and his iStat 4.7 shows the Airport temp on his new 2.0 alu Macbook. His is running at 64 C. I asked him to post a screenshot, but he hates message boards.